Meeting tonight to consult over plans to close two Redbridge police stations
Campaigners against plans to close two Redbridge police stations will aim to make their voices heard at a consultation meeting being held tonight.
The London deputy mayor for policing Stephen Greenhalgh and the Metropolitan Police’s assistant commissioner Simon Byrne will host a one-hour consultation event at Redbridge Town Hall in High Road, Ilford form 8-9pm.
Both Woodford Police Station, High Road, Woodford Green and Wanstead Police Station, Spratt Hall Road, Wanstead are earmarked for closure.
The proposed closures were announced last month as park of the draft police and crime plan of the Mayor’s Office for Policing and Crime (MOPAC).
As part of it, Barkingside Police Station in High Street, Barkingside, will reduce its opening hours as the Met look to make £500million savings in the next three years.
Speaking last month, council leader Cllr Keith Prince said: “I believe we made a compelling case to retain a permanent police station in the west of the borough.
“We will continue to vigorously lobby MOPAC.”
- 1 Jailed: Teen who inflicted life-changing injuries as he squirted acid in boy's face
- 2 Police no longer looking for man wanted in connection with assault
- 3 New documentary on murders of women whose bodies were hidden in freezer
- 4 Travel Bulletin: Havering, Redbridge, Barking and Dagenham
- 5 Awards nomination for 'rights champion' schoolgirl, 9
- 6 'Time to end the injustice': Barts staff set to strike amid pay dispute
- 7 Driver charged in connection with fatal collision on M11 due in court
- 8 Men jailed for using explosives in string of ATM thefts
- 9 Patients with Covid in east London hospitals fall after rising for weeks
- 10 Goodmayes 'loner' found dead in 'dilapidated' flat leaves £400k fortune
It has not been decided whether the Wanstead and Woodford stations will be sold, contrary to what a MOPAC spokesman told the Recorder last week.
MOPAC proposes selling about 200 buildings.
See this website tomorrow for reaction from the meeting.