Meeting tonight to consult over plans to close two Redbridge police stations
Campaigners against plans to close two Redbridge police stations will aim to make their voices heard at a consultation meeting being held tonight.
The London deputy mayor for policing Stephen Greenhalgh and the Metropolitan Police’s assistant commissioner Simon Byrne will host a one-hour consultation event at Redbridge Town Hall in High Road, Ilford form 8-9pm.
Both Woodford Police Station, High Road, Woodford Green and Wanstead Police Station, Spratt Hall Road, Wanstead are earmarked for closure.
The proposed closures were announced last month as park of the draft police and crime plan of the Mayor’s Office for Policing and Crime (MOPAC).
As part of it, Barkingside Police Station in High Street, Barkingside, will reduce its opening hours as the Met look to make £500million savings in the next three years.
You may also want to watch:
Speaking last month, council leader Cllr Keith Prince said: “I believe we made a compelling case to retain a permanent police station in the west of the borough.
“We will continue to vigorously lobby MOPAC.”
- 1 'Last of a dying breed': Ilford pub scoops readers' vote honour
- 2 Award for officers who tackled knife-wielding man at Ilford station
- 3 Coffee fanatics to open 'lively' new coffee shop in Redbridge
- 4 Best places to have a curry in Redbridge as chosen by readers
- 5 Medics treat six people after three-car crash in Ilford
- 6 Hospital's failure to identify neck injury 'contributed' to courier's death, inquest finds
- 7 Things to do: Explore east London this weekend
- 8 Bereaved dad's marathon tribute to son who died of rare brain disorder
- 9 New Covid vaccine centres to open across east London
- 10 Council seeks public input after York Road anti-social behaviour concerns
It has not been decided whether the Wanstead and Woodford stations will be sold, contrary to what a MOPAC spokesman told the Recorder last week.
MOPAC proposes selling about 200 buildings.
See this website tomorrow for reaction from the meeting.