Lee Scott MP: Tories’ unofficial area committee ‘well-attended’
- Credit: Archant
More than 70 people attended the Tories’ first unofficial area committee meeting last night, according to Lee Scott MP.
The meetings are a direct response to the Redbridge Labour Group axing the seven traditional area committees held across the borough earlier this year.
Cllr Jas Athwal, the council leader, introduced the new local forums to help cut the financial deficit faced by the council.
Mr Scott said: “I was very pleased with the attendance. I counted 74 but a few people arrived late.
“Local democracy has to be about listening to local people and taking these views into account.
You may also want to watch:
He also added: “Sadly the current council leadership have, by their high handed actions, shown that they will ignore any contrary opinions.”
All the Conservative ward councillors of Fullwell, Fairlop and Bridge were present – apart from Cllr John Fairley-Churchill who was absent due to sickness. Cllr Robin Turbefield chaired the panel.
- 1 Teen 'robbed at knifepoint' in Chadwell Heath
- 2 Ex-police officer among group jailed for £850k intercept from rival gangs
- 3 Ilford Town only place in London with average house price below £250,000
- 4 Ilford care home turned into studio flats for rough sleepers
- 5 More than a thousand attend Eid in the Field in Woodford Green
- 6 Barking man appears in court charged with mother-of-two's murder
- 7 Man's suicide method thoughts were not in clinical notes, inquest hears
- 8 Chadwell Heath death: Barking man charged with murder of Maria Rawlings
- 9 Footage issued of man sought in Maria Rawlings murder investigation
- 10 Cannabis and rambo knife sniffed out by police dog in Gants Hill bust
“There were a number of issues spoken about, including the Oakfield playing fields and developing the Wanstead and Woodford corridor,” added Mr Scott.
He added 80 per cent of the time residents were able to express their opinions.
Cllr Athwal has labelled Mr Scott’s initiative “petty politics” and dismissed the meetings as “counter-productive”.