Leaders blast Brexit Party for calling Redbridge a ‘foreign country’
- Credit: Archant
Political leaders acted swiftly to shut down comments made by the Brexit party which compared Redbridge to a foreign country.
Brexit Party founder, MP Catherine Blaiklock, who is strongly anti-mass immigration despite having "three races from three continents" in her own family compared different parts of London in a twitter rant. "
Leader of Redbridge Council, Jas Athwal was quick to respond to her message and said the diversity of the borough is "our greatest strength".
"I am proud to love and work her among so many wonderful communities," he said.
"I've fought racism like this my whole life and I won't tolerate it in my hometown.
You may also want to watch:
"Sowing division and hatred in unforgivable #moreincommon."
Independent MP for Ilford South, Mike Gapes, was also quick to shut down the Brexit Party founder's tweet.
- 1 Teen 'robbed at knifepoint' in Chadwell Heath
- 2 Ilford care home turned into studio flats for rough sleepers
- 3 Barking man appears in court charged with mother-of-two's murder
- 4 Chadwell Heath death: Barking man charged with murder of Maria Rawlings
- 5 Cannabis and rambo knife sniffed out by police dog in Gants Hill bust
- 6 Footage issued of man sought in Maria Rawlings murder investigation
- 7 Labour's shadow cabinet reshuffle sees new role for Ilford North MP
- 8 Man's suicide method thoughts were not in clinical notes, inquest hears
- 9 Murder probe launched after mother-of-two’s body found in Chadwell Heath
- 10 Ilford mosque attendees attacked with eggs and stones
Replying he said: "Well I'm sure our brilliant and fantastic diverse modern British community here in Redbridge would be delighted if you took your hateful divisive politics elsewhere.
"We are proud of our community.
"We don't want extremists of any kind coming here."
Deputy leader of Redbridge Council also threw in his two cents in support of the borough and asked Ms Blaiklock to check her grammar after she wrote "Carribean".
"It's Caribbean, learn to write in English," he tweeted.