Justice secretary Chris Grayling calls on council to protect Oakfield site
- Credit: Vickie Flores
The justice secretary waded into the debate over the borough’s green belt.
Chris Grayling called on local authorities to be more “creative” in finding space to build homes as he showed support for Ilford North MP Lee Scott’s campaign to protect the Oakfield playing fields in Forest Road, Barkingside.
The minister made the comments as he visited businesses in High Street, Barkingside with Mr Scott.
He said: “I’m of the view that we should do all we can to protect the green belt – it’s so important to protect this part of the country.”
The comments come after Redbridge Council’s draft local plan offered the option to build 800 homes on the site.
You may also want to watch:
Mr Grayling said: “What we require is imagination and creativity – with a little bit of imagination there are ways of creating more housing – we just have to focus our efforts on using the land bank that’s already there.
“That’s not to say it’s acceptable to build in back gardens either.”
- 1 Restaurant faces losing licence after allegations of illegal club nights during pandemic
- 2 Restaurant stripped of its alcohol licence
- 3 'A race against time' - 18,000 people in Redbridge have received Covid jab
- 4 NHS nurse assaulted at east London hospital
- 5 Covid deaths increase at Queen's and King George hospitals this week
- 6 Residents furious after car park and lift flooded since before Christmas
- 7 Little Gearies development plans pass following hours of discussion over Barkingside estate
- 8 Redbridge parents' group donates six new laptops to families in need
- 9 Need for Frenford Foodbank won't end when pandemic does, say volunteers
- 10 One in 20 may have had Covid-19 last week in Redbridge, Newham and Barking and Dagenham, figures suggest
Mr Scott presented a petition signed by 4,864 people to Parliament last week asking it to reject any requests to remove the playing field’s green belt status.
He said: “We will do everything we can to protect our green belt.”