Ilford road gearing up for street party today with aim of reviving Diamond Jubilee spirit
- Credit: Archant
Two Ilford residents are looking to revive the community spirit felt at last year’s Diamond Jubilee street parties with another celebration today.
Ros Southern and neighbour Oddie Rolland were awarded £250 by area committee seven towards food, decorations and furniture for the party in Auckland Road, from 10am-6pm.
As part of the Big Lunch programme, they hope to bring neighbours together again after a successful party for St George’s Day in April.
Ros said: “We want to bring everyone out.”
Councillors on area committee seven enthusiastically approved the funding request and praised the organisers last month.
You may also want to watch:
Cllr Shoaib Patel said there had been 14 requests for road closures in Redbridge for street parties.
He added: “Hopefully it will raise community spirit and bring people from different communities together.”
- 1 Man dies after fall near Hainault station
- 2 Driver dies after Ilford shopfront crash
- 3 Met Office issues yellow warning for heavy showers in London
- 4 Driver in critical condition after Ilford shop crash
- 5 Fireaway pizza branch to open in South Woodford
- 6 Man rushed to hospital after being robbed and stabbed in Ilford
- 7 Teenager charged over Sven Badzak death in Kilburn
- 8 Hospital left dying 103-year-old veteran without food, inquest hears
- 9 Jailed: ‘Opportunistic predator’ who kidnapped and raped woman
- 10 Covid cases drop at Queen’s and King George hospitals
Cllr Ross Hatfull said many people do not know who their neighbours are and the party would “build relationships”.