Ilford road gearing up for street party today with aim of reviving Diamond Jubilee spirit
- Credit: Archant
Two Ilford residents are looking to revive the community spirit felt at last year’s Diamond Jubilee street parties with another celebration today.
Ros Southern and neighbour Oddie Rolland were awarded £250 by area committee seven towards food, decorations and furniture for the party in Auckland Road, from 10am-6pm.
As part of the Big Lunch programme, they hope to bring neighbours together again after a successful party for St George’s Day in April.
Ros said: “We want to bring everyone out.”
Councillors on area committee seven enthusiastically approved the funding request and praised the organisers last month.
You may also want to watch:
Cllr Shoaib Patel said there had been 14 requests for road closures in Redbridge for street parties.
He added: “Hopefully it will raise community spirit and bring people from different communities together.”
- 1 Two men assaulted with pole after car driven into them
- 2 95pc of children get place at first or second choice primary school
- 3 Fairlop Waters, numbers, NHS and child exploitation
- 4 Pedestrian suffers 'life-threatening head injury' in Redbridge collision
- 5 Two men arrested after kidnapping in broad daylight in South Woodford
- 6 Hainault teen lands coveted slot on dance touring company
- 7 Police officer sacked after 'encouraging friend to lie about collision'
- 8 Man charged with murder after elderly woman found dead in bathtub in Clayhall home
- 9 Man in hospital after car flips over in Wanstead
- 10 Two men arrested in Chigwell on suspicion of kidnap
Cllr Ross Hatfull said many people do not know who their neighbours are and the party would “build relationships”.