Ilford Recorder readers back Labour candidate Sadiq Khan to win London Mayor election
- Credit: Archant
Recorder readers have backed Labour’s Sadiq Khan to become the next Mayor of London.
In an online survey, 42.5 per cent of respondents said they were planning to vote for Mr Khan in next Thursday’s election.
But while 48.7pc admitted to being regular Labour voters, the party’s London Assembly candidate for Havering and Redbridge Ivana Bartoletti was neck and neck with Conservative candidate Keith Prince, both on 36.3pc.
The survey put Tory mayoral candidate Zac Goldsmith on 32.5pc, with Green candidate Sian Berry third on 7.5pc.
Only 3.7pc of voters said they had not chosen a mayoral candidate yet.
We also asked readers which issues had been most influential in making their choice.
Unsurprisingly, six out of 10 said housing was one of the most important issues to them, with more than four out of 10 saying transport.
- 1 Fairlop Waters car park to transform into ice-rink for Christmas
- 2 Barking cash and carry boss jailed for five years for money laundering
- 3 Mercato Metropolitano to host taster market in Ilford
- 4 Call for witnesses after man, 54, dies following Eastern Avenue collision
- 5 Festivities planned to mark Ilford's Christmas lights switch-on
- 6 Members of Mali Boys gang jailed for supplying Class A drugs into Essex
- 7 Thief threatened woman with bottle at Ilford High Road Sainsbury's Local
- 8 Two more men charged with murder after fatal stabbing of teen in Loxford
- 9 Chance of snow in London this weekend
- 10 Trust admits 'still more to do' despite diagnostic imaging improvements
Almost one in four said immigration was a major issue in deciding, while almost one in five said the EU.
The candidate’s personality was an important factor for 24pc of respondents, while 26pc said they were sticking with their usual party.