Ilford primary school pupils hope to save under-threat Glasbury House education centre
Pupils are making a last-ditch attempt to save the Glasbury House outdoor education centre that has benefited Redbridge children since 1962.
The council-owned house, on the banks of the River Wye in Hereford, has allowed thousands of pupils to enjoy rock-climbing, canoeing and abseiling.
But council budget cuts agreed last year, wiping out its �255,000 annual subsidy, come into effect on April 1 and threaten its future.
Students at Ilford Jewish Primary School, Carlton Drive, Barkingside, have started a petition – signed by around 500 people including teachers and staff – stating their opposition.
Jonathan Pearlman, the school’s head of key stage two, was told at a meeting with the council on January 31 that redundancy notices for July have been handed to Glasbury staff.
You may also want to watch:
Joshua Carmel-Brown, 10, who visited it in November, said: “It’s amazing.
“I’ve got two younger brothers at the school and they’re going to miss out on the facilities it has to offer.”
- 1 Fire damages Ilford flats
- 2 Have you seen Chantel, 15, missing from Ilford?
- 3 95pc of children get place at first or second choice primary school
- 4 Ricardo Fuller death: Man charged with murder
- 5 Tributes to police officer killed in Ilford on 26th anniversary of death
- 6 Two men assaulted with pole after car driven into them
- 7 Two men arrested after kidnapping in broad daylight in South Woodford
- 8 Hainault teen lands coveted slot on dance touring company
- 9 Fairlop Waters, numbers, NHS and child exploitation
- 10 Man charged with murder after elderly woman found dead in bathtub in Clayhall home
Mr Pearlman said: “A lot of children who go, they go on to the straight and narrow, rather than going off the rails. It gives them a self-confidence and they believe in themselves.”
Charges per student would go from �230 to �542 without the subsidy.
A council spokesman said: “A request for the subsidy to be funded by the Schools Funding Forum was considered. However, the forum felt they were unable to support the request due to pressures on budgets.”
She added the cabinet will discuss the facility’s future in March, with a number of options to be tabled.