Ilford North MP Wes Streeting calls for Jeremy Corbyn to ‘take responsibility’
- Credit: Archant
Ilford North MP Wes Streeting has said Labour party leader Jeremy Corbyn must take responsibility for his role in the failed campaign to remain in the European Union.
The MP said he supported the Prime Minister’s David Cameron decision to resign and fellow Remain supporter Jeremy Corbyn needed to accept his role in the campaign.
He said: “I think the Prime Minister was right to accept his tole in the failed campaign.
“Now I think the leader of the Labour party needs to accept his role in the failed campaign, alongside other party leaders.”
In the borough, 69,213 residents in Redbridge backed the campaign to remain, with 59,020 voting to leave.
You may also want to watch:
The Ilford North MP said it is now the responsibility of people to work together across the political divide.
He said: “Redbridge voted to remain in the European Union, but Britain has voted to leave the European Union.
- 1 Ilford murder investigation launched after woman dies of injuries
- 2 Ilford Town only place in London with average house price below £250,000
- 3 First residents move in to new council homes in Hainault
- 4 Ex-police officer among group jailed for £850k intercept from rival gangs
- 5 More than a thousand attend Eid in the Field in Woodford Green
- 6 Teen 'robbed at knifepoint' in Chadwell Heath
- 7 Sam Tarry MP: 'My focus is on job creation in Ilford'
- 8 Wes Streeting MP reveals cancer diagnosis
- 9 Footage issued of man sought in Maria Rawlings murder investigation
- 10 Maria Rawlings death: Man arrested on suspicion of murder
“Having campaigned hard to keep Britain in the EU, I am naturally disappointed at this result and I am worried about the consequences for our nation. “But my job as your MP is to respect the result and do my utmost to make it work for our country.
“We now need clear leadership and for people to work together across the political divide to address the big questions that face our country as we chart a new course in the world.”