Ilford North MP Wes Streeting calls for Jeremy Corbyn to ‘take responsibility’
- Credit: Archant
Ilford North MP Wes Streeting has said Labour party leader Jeremy Corbyn must take responsibility for his role in the failed campaign to remain in the European Union.
The MP said he supported the Prime Minister’s David Cameron decision to resign and fellow Remain supporter Jeremy Corbyn needed to accept his role in the campaign.
He said: “I think the Prime Minister was right to accept his tole in the failed campaign.
“Now I think the leader of the Labour party needs to accept his role in the failed campaign, alongside other party leaders.”
In the borough, 69,213 residents in Redbridge backed the campaign to remain, with 59,020 voting to leave.
You may also want to watch:
The Ilford North MP said it is now the responsibility of people to work together across the political divide.
He said: “Redbridge voted to remain in the European Union, but Britain has voted to leave the European Union.
- 1 More than £5m worth of stolen vehicles recovered in first Redbridge Action Week
- 2 Cost of damage runs into thousands as Clayhall street clears up after floods
- 3 Ricardo Fuller death: Third man charged with murder
- 4 Olympian-trained South Woodford sprinter, 8, breaks record in Manchester
- 5 TV's Ben Shephard opens island themed playground at children’s hospice
- 6 Litter in Redbridge parks quadruples in one year, council reveals
- 7 Redbridge clean-up underway after flash floods close A&E and damage homes
- 8 Barkingside man arrested on suspicion of firearms offences
- 9 Engineering student wins place at Princeton University
- 10 The Sikh Network on grieving in lockdown and death 'as a process of life'
“Having campaigned hard to keep Britain in the EU, I am naturally disappointed at this result and I am worried about the consequences for our nation. “But my job as your MP is to respect the result and do my utmost to make it work for our country.
“We now need clear leadership and for people to work together across the political divide to address the big questions that face our country as we chart a new course in the world.”