Ilford boy wins world’s most expensive mince pie
A six-year old Ilford boy won a very special early Christmas present this morning - the world’s most expensive mince pie.
Families have been making their own mince pies at a manufactory in The Exchange shopping centre, High Road, Ilford, since the start of the month.
And all received raffle tickets to win a delicately-crafted �3,000 version, gilded with platinum leaf, which has been on display there.
Lucky Mukund Soni, a fan of TV show Masterchef, got his hands on the pie this morning.
His father, Mahendra Soni, said: “My wife and I have been thinking of buying gifts for the children and this has been a fantastic additional present for them.
You may also want to watch:
“We’re looking forward to inviting friends over for a celebration of this surprise gift.
“Mukund has a keen interest in culinary activities. “Once we heard about the manufactory we had to come and take part and he loved it.”
- 1 Ilford man raises awareness of 'life-saving' gadget after dad's death
- 2 Ilford Exchange Debenhams to permanently close
- 3 Woman had phone stolen at knife-point in Woodford Green
- 4 Funeral service for 'giant of Aldborough Hatch' Ron Jeffries to be streamed on Facebook
- 5 NHS nurse assaulted at east London hospital
- 6 'Help people find moments of beauty within the trauma': BHRUT chaplain supports staff during pandemic
- 7 Restaurant faces losing licence after allegations of illegal club nights during pandemic
- 8 Restaurant stripped of its alcohol licence
- 9 Chigwell school puts pupils' baking skills to the test
- 10 Charge! New fleet of electric vehicles for Redbridge Council
The pie is brushed with eggnog and dusted with precious Ambergris sugar, following a recipe from 1670.
A 1920’s cognac and Tokaij Essentica, a sweet white wine, were also used.
Marc Myers, The Exchange’s general manager, said: “We wanted to deliver something different for our customers this Christmas. “We’ve seen children and adults alike making mince pies and having a fantastic experience, some returning many times.”