House of Commons speaker John Bercow grilled by students at Goodmayes school
- Credit: Archant
John Bercow, the Speaker of the House of Commons, taught students a thing or two about politics last week.
Mayfield School, in Goodmayes, welcomed the MP to pass on his experience to school councillors, the school “Parliament” and pupils studying government and politics.
He discussed his role, background and reportedly did some “very entertaining impressions” of members of the House of Commons and Lords.
Students grilled him on issues including the rise of Ukip and membership of the controversial anti-immigration Monday Club.
Amy McCarthy, head of year 12, said the visit was a “great experience for students”.
You may also want to watch:
She added: “It was refreshing to see a positive exchange of views as the majority of young people are interested in the decision-making processes that affect their daily lives.
“My students and I felt inspired by Mr Bercow’s obvious enthusiasm for our Parliamentary system.”
- 1 East London police officer charged with rape
- 2 Teen dies after being stabbed in reported fight on Loxford street
- 3 ‘Game-changing’ kebab chain to open Barkingside branch
- 4 Liverpool Street to Shenfield line suspended as person hit by train
- 5 Childhood sweethearts to open 'Brick Lane-style' deli in Barkingside
- 6 Man taken to 'trauma centre' after head injury at Hainault station
- 7 Mapped: Possession of weapons across east London
- 8 South Woodford curry house named best in the nation
- 9 Murder investigation launched after fatal stabbing of teen in Loxford
- 10 Man charged in connection with alleged police car ramming in Ilford