Goodmayes Park Extension row flares up again after ‘gates locked’
- Credit: Archant
Residents have renewed their fight to stop the lease of Goodmayes Park Extension to a football club amid rumours it has been closed to the public.
Redbridge Council granted the lease to Singh Sabha Football Club (SSFC) for 35 years at a “peppercorn” annual rent of £1 last year.
But there have not been any updates on the use of the open space since June and on Saturday, visitors found the gates locked.
Cllr Ali Hai said he saw a dog walker get stuck trying to squeeze through a gap in the fence.
He added: “When you turn up to the park and it’s closed and there’s no communication it makes people concerned.
You may also want to watch:
“They don’t want the park to go to a private club, they want it to stay with the council.”
Although the lease was confirmed, negotiations about conditions are thought to be ongoing.
- 1 Ilford GP criticises NHS patient data sharing plans
- 2 Ilford charity boss named in Queen’s Birthday Honours
- 3 Man jailed after gun and cocaine worth £1m found at Ilford home
- 4 Man with Hainault links wanted on recall to prison
- 5 Hainault woman ordered to pay £1k over Dagenham cigarette littering
- 6 Ilford's Mercato Metropolitano to open in November
- 7 Police officer guilty of spying on woman in the shower
- 8 New entrance opened at Ilford Station to support Elizabeth line
- 9 Fire at block of maisonettes in Wanstead
- 10 Redbridge school's staff to strike over Covid working dispute
SSFC said they were planning a “centre of excellence” for sports and a “state of the art” clubhouse.
Chairman Jagjit Rai said the club was open to all the community and public access would remain.
There are currently five football pitches and a mini-soccer pitch at the site and two blocks of changing rooms.
A petition signed by 1,126 people supported the lease.
Vision Redbridge, the council’s leisure arm, was losing £17,710 a year after maintenance costs and booking receipts.
The council did not respond to the Recorder’s request for information.