Goodmayes junction is a ‘disaster waiting to happen’ for pedestrians
- Credit: Archant
Action must be taken to improve safety at a “dangerous” Goodmayes junction, according to a resident.
Speaking at last week’s area committee five meeting at Barley Lane Primary School, Huxley Drive, Rachel Hodder said she regularly sees several cars jumping red lights to turn right from Barley Lane into High Road while the pedestrian crossing is green.
In August, a woman was airlifted to hospital with serious injuries after being hit by a vehicle and Ms Hodder said the junction was “a disaster waiting to happen”.
She added: “I only know of two serious incidents but I want to know how many there have been.
“Something has got to be done.”
You may also want to watch:
She suggested changing the phasing of lights and installing CCTV cameras to catch drivers running red lights.
But a Redbridge Council highways officer said only police could enforce the offence with cameras and widening the junction to improve safety could cost £1million.
- 1 Upcycle and recycle market coming to former Goodmayes Homebase site
- 2 Cash and jewellery taken in Ilford shop robbery
- 3 Girl, 16, allegedly raped in Ilford park
- 4 Car fire on A406 in South Woodford causing 'serious' delays
- 5 Seven charged after police crackdown on alleged county lines
- 6 MP Sam Tarry: 'Much more needs to be done to support local businesses'
- 7 Lloyds Bank announces Gants Hill branch closure
- 8 NHS pilot to end blood test services at two Redbridge sites
- 9 Travelling in and out of Redbridge? Your guide to road and rail works
- 10 'I know how much they help': Teacher to continue motivational sessions
Committee chairman Cllr Barbara White said: “I’m sure we all realise money is short but you can’t put a price on a child’s life.”
Cllr Ali Hai suggested approaching Tesco, which has a superstore near the junction, for funding and Cllr Bob Littlewood asked to see the statistics in a report.
The council highways department was asked to look into options for safety improvements.