Glasbury House: Redbridge Council vote to close outdoor centre
- Credit: Archant
Campaigners made a last ditch attempt to save a popular children’s outdoor centre during last night’s full council meeting.
Mother Diane Aldsworth and Wendy Thomas, the headteacher of Churchfields, in Churchfields, South Woodford, handed in a petition opposing the closure of Glasbury House near Hay-on-Wye, forcing the matter to be debated at the council meeting.
But the petition, which collected 2,642 signatures, did little to deter councillors who voted 31 in favour of shutting down the facility to 24 against – much to the disappointment of Ms Aldsworth.
Speaking outside the council chamber at Redbridge Town Hall, in Ilford High Road, she said: “I am disappointed but not surprised.
“There has not been enough exploration for what they can do to keep the centre open. They were not willing to seek external advice.”
You may also want to watch:
The council is aiming to cut £70million from its budget over the next three years, with the site estimated to sell for £1million.
Ms Thomas called plans to use Fairlop Waters, the largest country park in Redbridge, as a viable alternative to Glasbury House a “complete joke”.
- 1 Restaurant faces losing licence after allegations of illegal club nights during pandemic
- 2 Have you seen this 52-year-old man missing from Ilford?
- 3 Safeguarding concerns at 'outstanding' Atam Academy in Chadwell Heath
- 4 Restaurant stripped of its alcohol licence
- 5 Wanstead wine expert launches new shop
- 6 Young Citizen: 'Our community needs us the most right now', says Mutual Aid volunteer
- 7 Derelict pavilion in Goodmayes Park destroyed by fire
- 8 Have you seen this 17-year-old missing from Ilford?
- 9 Calls to extend school streets consultation
- 10 Double murder charge over stabbings, as police name victims
She added that the council would have to pay “thousands of pounds” to maintain Glasbury House until it was sold.
Ms Aldsworth had recommended the council should consider to turning the outdoor centre into a business which operates for “a minimum 50 weeks” each year.