Gants Hill mother and daughter jailed for train station purse theft
A mother and her 22-year-old daughter, who worked together to steal a commuter’s purse, have been jailed after the incident was caught on CCTV.
Dannika Brown, of Perth Road, Gants Hill, worked as her mother’s, Denise Lawrence’s, accomplice to steal a 41-year-old’s purse as she walked through Stratford station on March 23.
Brown was sentenced to three months in prison in January after she was found guilty of theft.
While Lawrence, 44, of Walmer Close, Waltham Forest, was jailed for 12 months on Thursday at Blackfriars Crown Court.
The court heard that the victim, after feeling a tug on her bag, turned around to see Brown holding her purse.
You may also want to watch:
CCTV later showed Lawrence taking it from the bag.
The victim challenged the duo, who both later denied the charge, but Brown concealed the purse in her trousers.
- 1 Two men assaulted with pole after car driven into them
- 2 Two men arrested after kidnapping in broad daylight in South Woodford
- 3 Hainault teen lands coveted slot on dance touring company
- 4 Man in hospital after car flips over in Wanstead
- 5 Waste reduction campaign launches with Redbridge fifth largest rubbish producer in England
- 6 Police officer sacked after 'encouraging friend to lie about collision'
- 7 Man charged with murder after elderly woman found dead in bathtub in Clayhall home
- 8 Wanstead Market set to re-open
- 9 Pedestrian suffers 'life-threatening head injury' in Redbridge collision
- 10 Music from Jessie J and Olly Murs to feature in new musical in Romford
Investigating officer Sgt Raymond Ascott, from the British Transport Police, said: “I hope their sentences send a clear message that stealing from passengers on the Tube network will not be tolerated and offenders will be brought to justice.”
n For advice on keeping your property safe visit www.btp.police.uk/pickpockets.