Fresh appeals one year after Ilford murder
A FRIEND of murdered Sukhwinder Singh has spoken of the enduring anguish suffered by his family as police make fresh appeals to catch his killers one year after his death.
Mr Singh was stabbed through the heart after chasing two muggers at the junction of Uphall Road, Ilford, and Victoria Road, Barking.
Police have put up a �20,000 reward for information leading to the arrest and conviction of those responsible.
Investigators are also hoping to find a mobile phone – a silver Samsung E250 – and a brown leather handbag which was stolen by the pair before they were chased.
Upkar Singh Rai, 45, a friend of Mr Singh, said: “These are difficult times. It is not easy to recover from such a shock but Sandeep [Mr Singh’s wife] has been coping fairly well. She has a strong character and a strong family. Gurjinder [his 11-year-old son] still misses his dad.”
You may also want to watch:
Mr Singh was planning to return to India to be reunited with his family for the first time in 10 years when he was killed.
The builder, of Harts Lane, Barking, was attacked at about 6.40pm on January 8, 2009, and was pronounced dead at the Royal London Hospital, Whitechapel, later that night.
- 1 Woman's body found in Chadwell Heath
- 2 Ilford mosque attendees attacked with eggs and stones
- 3 Police car flips over in Chadwell Heath collision
- 4 Man stabbed in Goodmayes
- 5 Detectives hunt for knifepoint phone robber in Woodford Green
- 6 Animals bite rubbish after wheelie bin delivery delay
- 7 Appeal to help find missing girl who may be in Dagenham, Ilford or Stratford
- 8 Six males detained after alleged brawl in Gants Hill
- 9 Crunch meeting fails to provide breakthrough in school sick pay dispute
- 10 Teen stabbed in Chadwell Heath
Police say there may have been more than two people involved in the attack.
One suspect is described as black, 5ft 10in to 6ft tall, skinny with a young face and wearing a black hooded top and light grey jogging bottoms.
The second is thought to be a lighter-skinned black man, around 6ft tall, of stocky build with possible facial markings or facial hair.
He was wearing a light blue hooded top with markings on the sleeves.
Anyone with information should call 020 8345 3775, or Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111.