Final piece of concrete laid for housing on Britannia Music Site in Ilford
- Credit: Archant
A 24-storey housing complex is one step closer to being completed after the final unit of concrete was poured in Ilford.
Eight years after Durkan developers were first granted planning permission, the framework for the Britannia Music Site was finished in a topping out ceremony on Thursday, September 27.
The site’s plans were initially approved in 2010 but stalled while the developer secured funding.
In January 2016 Durkan was given a £25million loan from the Greater London Authority (GLA) which allowed it to continue the project.
This week Redbridge Council leader, Councillor, Jas Athwal poured the last piece of concrete onto the top floor along with Danny Durkan, Durkan executive chairman and Alex Greaves, M&G fund manager.
You may also want to watch:
The development in Chapel Lane will provide a mix of one, two and three-bedroom homes within two buildings which are set around a new public courtyard.
It will deliver 354 homes, with close to a third of these providing affordable rent or shared ownership opportunities.
- 1 Growing public support for tougher pet theft sentences
- 2 Consultation on proposed controlled parking zones to begin
- 3 Almost 250 homes without internet in Goodmayes after car accident takes out telecoms box
- 4 Double murder accused remanded in custody over ‘brutal’ stabbings
- 5 Surplus of primary school places now but shortage expected within 10 years
- 6 Redevelopment plans likely to be approved despite 144 objections
- 7 Covid outbreak at Woodford Green care home delays vaccinations
- 8 GPs roll up their sleeves to support colleagues at Queen's Hospital
- 9 CCTV still issued of man sought in 'vicious and unprovoked' attack in broad daylight in Barkingside supermarket
- 10 Double murder arrest as dramatic footage shows police detaining woman
Fraser Wells, managing director of housing partnerships, said: “We’re delighted to be celebrating reaching another milestone on such an exciting development.
“We have carefully progressed our proposals to deliver a scheme which is right for the local area.”