Details unveiled of proposed third public swimming pool in Redbridge
- Credit: Archant
Details about a proposed third public swimming pool in Redbridge have been released.
Redbridge Council announced last week it wanted to open the pool at Loxford School of Science and Technology, in Loxford Lane, Ilford, for public use.
The £1.5million project will see the 25-metre, four lane pool improved in an effort to increase access to swimming in the borough, which has more than 1,000 people on the waiting list for lessons.
The announcement comes shortly after the council said it was hoping to develop a brand new £3.25m public pool at Mayfield School in Pedley Road.
Cllr Wes Streeting, cabinet member for health and wellbeing, said: “This shows how serious we are about solving the long-standing issue of poor swimming pool provision in the borough.
You may also want to watch:
“We’ve heard the message from the public loud and clear – thousands of people want to be able to learn to swim and to improve their health and fitness.
“We believe it’s vitally important for better public health and social justice that those needs are met – particularly in areas of the borough with high levels of deprivation and poor health, like Loxford.”
- 1 Man dies after fall near Hainault station
- 2 Driver dies after Ilford shopfront crash
- 3 Met Office issues yellow warning for heavy showers in London
- 4 Teenager charged over Sven Badzak death in Kilburn
- 5 Hospital left dying 103-year-old veteran without food, inquest hears
- 6 Driver in critical condition after Ilford shop crash
- 7 Man rushed to hospital after being robbed and stabbed in Ilford
- 8 Investigation underway as 20 dead birds recovered from Goodmayes Park lake
- 9 'She has a chance to fight it': Donor match for leukaemia patient Esha
- 10 Jailed: ‘Opportunistic predator’ who kidnapped and raped woman
The pool would be open between 4.30pm and 10pm Monday to Friday, from 9am to 9pm at the weekend, and from 9am to 10pm during Monday to Friday within school holidays.
Anita Johnson, head teacher of Loxford School of Science and Technology, said: “We are delighted to be a part of the council’s plans to bring more pool access to residents.
“As well as being a school that is dedicated to the excellent education of its pupils we also have the community at the heart of our work.
“We believe this proposal would be an important step for both the school and the people of the Redbridge.”
The proposals for both pools will be discussed at the health, leisure and older people service committee on Monday January 5.