Decision due on ‘wine bar’ HMO in Woodford Green
- Credit: Google
Neighbours are outraged that a former care home could be turned into an “extremely detrimental” 18 person house of multiple occupancy (HMO).
Owner Dr Asif Khan had a change of use application rejected in January for the building in Snakes Lane West, Woodford Green.
Redbridge Council’s planning department turned him down due to “noise and disturbance ... insufficient provision for parking spaces”, and failure to promote sustainable transport.
But Dr Khan appealed the decision with the regulatory committee last night, saying he did not receive any responses to emails or phone calls from the council.
He argues in his appeal: “Some of the reasons given by the planning authority could have been easily addressed if they had engaged with the applicant and his agent but at no time did they return or make contact with us.”
You may also want to watch:
Eight neighbours have submitted representations against the application to turn the building into an HMO.
Sharon Goksaran claimed Mr Khan had already moved several tenants in.
- 1 Two more police 'enforcement hubs' to open in Redbridge
- 2 The most expensive houses sold in your east London borough in August
- 3 Sikh volunteer group hands out food to celebrate International Langar Week
- 4 'Sick and tired': More restaurants fall victim to Just Eat scammers
- 5 Police warn of 'violence, urination' as takeaway applies for late licence
- 6 Six cars damaged and lamppost felled in late-night Loxford crash
- 7 Night Tube services to resume on Central line
- 8 'Not acceptable': Residents mount opposition to plumbers' building plan
- 9 Mercato Ilford 'delayed again' as council pushes for Christmas opening
- 10 Update: Missing Chigwell man found
She said they smoke and drink late into the night directly beneath her 13-year-old daughter’s window, adding: “It is like living next to a wine bar or a small club.”
Despite this Cllr Linda Huggett (Con, Monkhams) said her ward did not have a big problem with HMOs.
“It depends how they are run, if it is run like rabbit style accommodation people would object,” she said.
“At the moment we do not have that many HMOs in Woodford Green.”
The decision will be updated later today.