Court fines woman hundreds for dumping mattress in Ilford
- Credit: Archant
A woman was handed a £765 bill after she was caught dumping a mattress in her own street.
Samira Anwar, from Wanstead Park Road, Ilford, was handed the fine at Barkingside Magistrates court on Friday, last week.
The court heard how a neighbour spotted Ms Anwar and a man carrying a double mattress from her driveway at around 10.30pm on September, 30 and dump the mattress on the pavement along with two black sacks of pillows.
Following Anwar’s guilty plea magistrate, Mr Michael Peacock, passed sentence and said: “Fly-tipping is a big problem in this borough.
“It’s an eyesore and leads to people feeling unsafe and to dirty streets.”
You may also want to watch:
Ms Anwar was sentenced to a fine of £300, costs of £435 and victims’ surcharge of £30, a total penalty of £765.
Leader of the council, Cllr Jas Athwal, said: “Residents are sick of people dumping their rubbish and so are we. I’m delighted that the Enforcement Team continue to bring these people to justice.”
- 1 More than £5m worth of stolen vehicles recovered in first Redbridge Action Week
- 2 Cost of damage runs into thousands as Clayhall street clears up after floods
- 3 Engineering student wins place at Princeton University
- 4 Olympian-trained South Woodford sprinter, 8, breaks record in Manchester
- 5 Ilford charity opens B&M store in Newbury Park
- 6 Barkingside man arrested on suspicion of firearms offences
- 7 The Sikh Network on grieving in lockdown and death 'as a process of life'
- 8 Redbridge clean-up underway after flash floods close A&E and damage homes
- 9 Ricardo Fuller death: Third man charged with murder
- 10 Litter in Redbridge parks quadruples in one year, council reveals