Court fines woman hundreds for dumping mattress in Ilford
- Credit: Archant
A woman was handed a £765 bill after she was caught dumping a mattress in her own street.
Samira Anwar, from Wanstead Park Road, Ilford, was handed the fine at Barkingside Magistrates court on Friday, last week.
The court heard how a neighbour spotted Ms Anwar and a man carrying a double mattress from her driveway at around 10.30pm on September, 30 and dump the mattress on the pavement along with two black sacks of pillows.
Following Anwar’s guilty plea magistrate, Mr Michael Peacock, passed sentence and said: “Fly-tipping is a big problem in this borough.
“It’s an eyesore and leads to people feeling unsafe and to dirty streets.”
You may also want to watch:
Ms Anwar was sentenced to a fine of £300, costs of £435 and victims’ surcharge of £30, a total penalty of £765.
Leader of the council, Cllr Jas Athwal, said: “Residents are sick of people dumping their rubbish and so are we. I’m delighted that the Enforcement Team continue to bring these people to justice.”
- 1 Mercato Ilford 'delayed again' as council pushes for Christmas opening
- 2 Revealed: The most popular baby names in your area in 2020
- 3 'Not acceptable': Residents mount opposition to plumbers' building plan
- 4 Young Citizen nominee: Esha, 4, who inspired thousands to join bone marrow donor list
- 5 Road and rail round-up: Disruptions to travel in east London this week
- 6 Jailed: Men who laundered £25m from cash and carry warehouses
- 7 Cross-party group demands mayor reject Tesco Goodmayes development
- 8 Two more police 'enforcement hubs' to open in Redbridge
- 9 Anti-hate crime workshops to be delivered in Redbridge
- 10 The most expensive houses sold in your east London borough in August