Councillors refuse to undo traffic calming measures in Woodford Green road despite petition
Councillors at last night’s area two committee meeting refused to spend �13,500 undoing �16,000 traffic works in Woodford Green which were only installed in February.
The majority of residents in Broadmead Road who responded to a consultation wanted textured “imprint” surfacing, installed as a traffic calming measure, removed.
They say the surfacing causes vibrations in their homes when large vehicles cross over it, but councillors at the meeting in Sir James Hawkey Hall, Broomhill Road, Woodford Green, refused to accept further costs to have it removed.
Cllr Paul Canal said: “We had complaints about speeding, the road does attract speeding.
“I find it hard to justify spending money to take it out.”
You may also want to watch:
Cllr Gwyneth Deakins said: “As guardians of the public purse, I find it hard to agree.”
Iain Duncan Smith, the MP for Chingford and Woodford Green, visited the road in June to speak to concerned residents who said the road treatment was disturbing their peace.
- 1 Cost of damage runs into thousands as Clayhall street clears up after floods
- 2 Barkingside man arrested on suspicion of firearms offences
- 3 Ilford charity opens B&M store in Newbury Park
- 4 Engineering student wins place at Princeton University
- 5 Redbridge clean-up underway after flash floods close A&E and damage homes
- 6 Olympian-trained South Woodford sprinter, 8, breaks record in Manchester
- 7 Developments approved in Redbridge so far in 2021
- 8 A look back at floods which have devastated east London since 2016
- 9 'Darkest days of my life': Six-year-old diagnosed with rare condition suffers OCD, anxiety and depressive symptoms
- 10 The Sikh Network on grieving in lockdown and death 'as a process of life'
Sixty per cent of residents who responded to Redbridge Council’s consultation said the surfacing should be removed.
Speed tests showed reductions from 36 miles per hour to 35 miles per hour and 36 to 33 at points on the road following the installation.