Councillors claim Redbridge has not taken ‘full advantage’ of Olympic Games
The council dramatically split in half when the Labour Party suggested Redbridge had not taken full advantage of the Olympic and Paralympic Games being on the borough’s doorstep, and that “short-sightedness” means residents will suffer in the long-run.
A number of Labour councillors criticised the current council for not using this summer’s Games to the borough’s advantage and for not trying to improve the sport and leisure facilities available.
Speaking at last night’s full council meeting in Redbridge Town Hall, High Road, Ilford, Cllr Baldesh Niijar said: “We must ask ourselves, have we taken full advantage of the Olympic games and legacy?
“Have we encouraged youngsters to be great athletes with only one leisure centre, when other boroughs have looked to the future. Redbridge has not been inspired.”
Cllr Barabara White said: “Where is the cultural Olympiad? There should be music and dancing on every street corner. Redbridge is a disgrace. We are the least cultural borough in London.”
You may also want to watch:
But Conservative councillors accused their counterparts of “nit-picking”.
Cllr Joyce Ryan said: “We should be celebrating the achievements in the borough, for instance the incredible success of Redbridge Drama Centre.”
- 1 Restaurant faces losing licence after allegations of illegal club nights during pandemic
- 2 Have you seen this 52-year-old man missing from Ilford?
- 3 Safeguarding concerns at 'outstanding' Atam Academy in Chadwell Heath
- 4 Restaurant stripped of its alcohol licence
- 5 Young Citizen: 'Our community needs us the most right now', says Mutual Aid volunteer
- 6 Wanstead wine expert launches new shop
- 7 Derelict pavilion in Goodmayes Park destroyed by fire
- 8 Have you seen this 17-year-old missing from Ilford?
- 9 Royal Mail lists six Redbridge postcodes hit by Covid postal delays
- 10 Double murder charge over stabbings, as police name victims
Council leader Cllr Keith Prince added: “The borough has welcomed the greatest show on earth and we will be celebrating with a whole raft of events.”