Conservatives reveal candidate to stand against Ilford South MP Mike Gapes
- Credit: Archant
The Conservatives have revealed their candidate to challenge for Ilford South in the 2015 general election.
Chris Chapman, a Tower Hamlets councillor, has been selected by the constituency party to stand against sitting Labour MP Mike Gapes.
He said: “I am honoured to have been selected to fight for the people of Ilford South.
“I have already been out on the doorstep to engage residents on the issues that really matter to them.
“There is continued concern as to the fate of the King George Hospital A&E department and I will be campaigning alongside those who are endeavouring to protect it.
You may also want to watch:
“I also intend to push for improved local transport infrastructure, the regeneration of Ilford town centre which people feel is becoming dominated by betting shops and fast food outlets and for an increase in visible policing to help tackle anti-social behaviour.
“Labour’s Mike Gapes MP has had 22 years to deal with Ilford South’s problems and I will be holding him to account on his time in office.
- 1 Teen 'robbed at knifepoint' in Chadwell Heath
- 2 Ilford care home turned into studio flats for rough sleepers
- 3 Barking man appears in court charged with mother-of-two's murder
- 4 Chadwell Heath death: Barking man charged with murder of Maria Rawlings
- 5 Cannabis and rambo knife sniffed out by police dog in Gants Hill bust
- 6 Footage issued of man sought in Maria Rawlings murder investigation
- 7 Labour's shadow cabinet reshuffle sees new role for Ilford North MP
- 8 Man's suicide method thoughts were not in clinical notes, inquest hears
- 9 Murder probe launched after mother-of-two’s body found in Chadwell Heath
- 10 Ilford mosque attendees attacked with eggs and stones
“The sense on the doorstep is that people are ready for a change and that they want an MP who can really deliver results.
“It is my intention to offer them that choice.”
Redbridge Conservative leader Cllr Paul Canal welcomed Mr Chapman’s adoption as the Conservative candidate as “exactly the right choice”.
He said: “Chris is not another professional politician, he is an experienced local campaigner, rooted in the community.
“He will be an excellent MP for Ilford South and I look forward to working with him and our activists as we return a Conservative MP for Ilford South and help continue our long term economic plan.”