Conservatives reveal candidate to stand against Ilford South MP Mike Gapes
- Credit: Archant
The Conservatives have revealed their candidate to challenge for Ilford South in the 2015 general election.
Chris Chapman, a Tower Hamlets councillor, has been selected by the constituency party to stand against sitting Labour MP Mike Gapes.
He said: “I am honoured to have been selected to fight for the people of Ilford South.
“I have already been out on the doorstep to engage residents on the issues that really matter to them.
“There is continued concern as to the fate of the King George Hospital A&E department and I will be campaigning alongside those who are endeavouring to protect it.
You may also want to watch:
“I also intend to push for improved local transport infrastructure, the regeneration of Ilford town centre which people feel is becoming dominated by betting shops and fast food outlets and for an increase in visible policing to help tackle anti-social behaviour.
“Labour’s Mike Gapes MP has had 22 years to deal with Ilford South’s problems and I will be holding him to account on his time in office.
- 1 Restaurant faces losing licence after allegations of illegal club nights during pandemic
- 2 Have you seen this 52-year-old man missing from Ilford?
- 3 Safeguarding concerns at 'outstanding' Atam Academy in Chadwell Heath
- 4 Restaurant stripped of its alcohol licence
- 5 Wanstead wine expert launches new shop
- 6 Derelict pavilion in Goodmayes Park destroyed by fire
- 7 Young Citizen: 'Our community needs us the most right now', says Mutual Aid volunteer
- 8 Have you seen this 17-year-old missing from Ilford?
- 9 Calls to extend school streets consultation
- 10 Double murder charge over stabbings, as police name victims
“The sense on the doorstep is that people are ready for a change and that they want an MP who can really deliver results.
“It is my intention to offer them that choice.”
Redbridge Conservative leader Cllr Paul Canal welcomed Mr Chapman’s adoption as the Conservative candidate as “exactly the right choice”.
He said: “Chris is not another professional politician, he is an experienced local campaigner, rooted in the community.
“He will be an excellent MP for Ilford South and I look forward to working with him and our activists as we return a Conservative MP for Ilford South and help continue our long term economic plan.”