Caretaker at Redbridge special school taken to hospital after chemical spill
An assistant caretaker at a Redbridge school was taken to hospital with breathing difficulties this morning following a chemical spill.
Firefighters responded to a spillage in the swimming pool area of Newbridge School, Gresham Drive, Chadwell Heath.
Staff and 60 children were told to keep away from the pool and its neighbouring plant area after spillages of sodium bisulfite and sodium hypochlorite.
The caretaker was taken to Queen’s Hospital, Romford, with minor breathing difficulties but has since informed Redbridge Council that he is fine.
Two fire engines and a range of specialist vehicles were called to the scene at 9.33am.
You may also want to watch:
The fire brigade is understood to have passed the area back to the control of the school, for children aged two to 14, at 11.30am.
A council spokesman said staff and children were advised to stay away from the area because of a risk of breathing fumes.
- 1 More than £5m worth of stolen vehicles recovered in first Redbridge Action Week
- 2 Cost of damage runs into thousands as Clayhall street clears up after floods
- 3 'Uproar' at decision to fell protected oak tree in Hainault
- 4 Inquest: Newham driver died of 'misadventure' after Redbridge police chase
- 5 Woodford Green and Forest Gate residents criticise councils over flooding
- 6 Barts Trust ends major incident but situation 'critical' at Whipps Cross
- 7 Cycling access extended at Wanstead Park
- 8 Ricardo Fuller death: Third man charged with murder
- 9 Oxford student bids to improve top university access for state school pupils
- 10 Former Woodford Police Station could become office space
She said no pupils were close to the area at the time of the spillage and the school day has not been disrupted.