Cabinet - Gearies expansion plans approved and funding agreed for two year olds education
- Credit: Archant
Gearies Junior School will close and be amalgamated into Gearies Infant School, councillors agreed at last night’s cabinet meeting, with the age range of the new school to run from three years old to 11.
Gearies Infant in Gants Hill Crescent, Gants Hill, will be enlarged by incorporating the junior school site.
A consultation since November had 224 responses, with 81 per cent of people in favour of the plans.
The cabinet also agreed to allocate £691,759 in funding from the Department for Education towards two year old education and childcare programmes.
Speaking at the meeting in Redbridge Town Hall, High Road, Ilford, Cllr Alan Weinberg, the cabinet member for children’s services, said: “I’m sure we’ll all agree the earlier a child starts their education process the better.”
You may also want to watch:
And the cabinet agreed to spend £500,000 replacing the boilers, heating distribution and water heating systems at Seven Kings High School in Ley Street, Ilford, and Woodbridge High School in St Barnabas Road, Woodford Green.
Cllr Weinberg joked: “In this weather, it’s a very important report.”
- 1 Cost of damage runs into thousands as Clayhall street clears up after floods
- 2 More than £5m worth of stolen vehicles recovered in first Redbridge Action Week
- 3 Engineering student wins place at Princeton University
- 4 Olympian-trained South Woodford sprinter, 8, breaks record in Manchester
- 5 Ilford charity opens B&M store in Newbury Park
- 6 Barkingside man arrested on suspicion of firearms offences
- 7 Redbridge clean-up underway after flash floods close A&E and damage homes
- 8 The Sikh Network on grieving in lockdown and death 'as a process of life'
- 9 Developments approved in Redbridge so far in 2021
- 10 'Darkest days of my life': Six-year-old diagnosed with rare condition suffers OCD, anxiety and depressive symptoms
In 2013/14, the hot and cold water systems will be replaced at Seven Kings with the main boiler to be replaced at Woodbridge in the same period.