Cabinet - Gearies expansion plans approved and funding agreed for two year olds education
- Credit: Archant
Gearies Junior School will close and be amalgamated into Gearies Infant School, councillors agreed at last night’s cabinet meeting, with the age range of the new school to run from three years old to 11.
Gearies Infant in Gants Hill Crescent, Gants Hill, will be enlarged by incorporating the junior school site.
A consultation since November had 224 responses, with 81 per cent of people in favour of the plans.
The cabinet also agreed to allocate £691,759 in funding from the Department for Education towards two year old education and childcare programmes.
Speaking at the meeting in Redbridge Town Hall, High Road, Ilford, Cllr Alan Weinberg, the cabinet member for children’s services, said: “I’m sure we’ll all agree the earlier a child starts their education process the better.”
You may also want to watch:
And the cabinet agreed to spend £500,000 replacing the boilers, heating distribution and water heating systems at Seven Kings High School in Ley Street, Ilford, and Woodbridge High School in St Barnabas Road, Woodford Green.
Cllr Weinberg joked: “In this weather, it’s a very important report.”
- 1 Two men assaulted with pole after car driven into them
- 2 Two men arrested after kidnapping in broad daylight in South Woodford
- 3 Hainault teen lands coveted slot on dance touring company
- 4 Waste reduction campaign launches with Redbridge fifth largest rubbish producer in England
- 5 Man in hospital after car flips over in Wanstead
- 6 Wanstead Market set to re-open
- 7 Music from Jessie J and Olly Murs to feature in new musical in Romford
- 8 Man charged with murder after elderly woman found dead in bathtub in Clayhall home
- 9 Police officer sacked after 'encouraging friend to lie about collision'
- 10 Pedestrian suffers 'life-threatening head injury' in Redbridge collision
In 2013/14, the hot and cold water systems will be replaced at Seven Kings with the main boiler to be replaced at Woodbridge in the same period.