Burglary, vandalism and fly-tipping in Redbridge alleyway must be stopped, says resident
Residents in Redbridge roads have endured years of vandalism, fly-tipping and crime in an alleyway behind their houses, a Redbridge Council committee was told on Tuesday.
John Sergent called on the area seven committee to help fund gates and railings to block off the alleyway at a meeting at Christchurch Primary School, in Wellesley Road, Ilford.
He said: “There have been extensive problems with all the goings on in the alley for a number of years and residents don’t know how to deal with it.
“Many I have spoken to have just given up.”
Mr Sergent said the t-shaped area between Eastern Avenue, Castle Drive and The Drive is a magnet for criminal activity.
You may also want to watch:
He said: “I have been burgled twice in my house and garage and my neighbours have also been burgled.
“Both times, they got in through the rear of my property.”
- 1 Flooding causes road and rail disruption across east London
- 2 Developments approved in Redbridge so far in 2021
- 3 Ilford charity opens B&M store in Newbury Park
- 4 Redbridge clean-up underway after flash floods close A&E and damage homes
- 5 Update: Missing girl, 12, found 'safe and well'
- 6 Backlash as Fairlop Waters meadow turned into overflow parking
- 7 Dagenham set to sign youngster Aaron Blair as McQueen to go out on loan
- 8 Ceiling panels collapse and operations cancelled at hospital after flooding
- 9 Man charged with Ilford robbery
- 10 Patients urged to avoid Whipps Cross A&E after flooding
Needles and other evidence of drug use have been found in the alley and vandals have set cars alight and damaged windows and fences behind houses.
Fly-tipping of rubbish, rubble and industrial waste sometimes blocks access to residents’ garages.
Mr Sergent said 100 rubber tyres were dumped.
He estimated the cost of a scheme to restrict access to the alley with gates and railings at around £11,000 and said he had letters from 56 out of 62 houses in support.
The committee was unanimous in agreeing to contribute £5,500 in principle but some councillors were concerned that a lack of replies from homes could be a “stumbling block”.
The schemes have previously needed 100 per cent support from every affected home but it could be avoided by going through the council’s cabinet.
Cllr Shoaib Patel commended Mr Sergent’s hard work and added: “I’ve visited many locations where residents have been frustrated by trying to get alleygates for 15 to 20 years and it just takes one landlord not to respond and it goes out of the window.”
Cllr Mahboob Choudhary said: “I know there are problems but the need is there.”
Chairman Cllr Mushtaq Ahmed said he hoped the barrier could be overcome and said the committee would start the process for a report and consultation.