Anyone fancy a pint? Brewery and hydroponic farm coming to Ilford
- Credit: Archant
A brewery making fresh beer is coming to Ilford.
No pasturising, no additives, just fresh pints will be made and sold at the new covered market in Clements Road.
Mercato Metropolitano (MM), known for its successful covered market at Elephant and Castle, will be operating Mercato Ilford and the organisation also hopes to produce MM Ilford bottled water from filtered sea water.
“One of the people behind the beer, developed a water technology to filter out sea water and make it mineral water,” said Alessio Giorgetti of MM
“We asked them if it possible to produce mineral water for us and we will sell it in the market as MM Ilford water.
You may also want to watch:
“Six months ago we also decided to fight plastic so there is no plastic bottles - we fill it in glass.
“Residents pay a deposit and when they bring the glass back they get it back.”
- 1 Woman's body found in Chadwell Heath
- 2 Ilford mosque attendees attacked with eggs and stones
- 3 Police car flips over in Chadwell Heath collision
- 4 Man stabbed in Goodmayes
- 5 Detectives hunt for knifepoint phone robber in Woodford Green
- 6 Animals bite rubbish after wheelie bin delivery delay
- 7 Appeal to help find missing girl who may be in Dagenham, Ilford or Stratford
- 8 Crunch meeting fails to provide breakthrough in school sick pay dispute
- 9 Six males detained after alleged brawl in Gants Hill
- 10 Teen stabbed in Chadwell Heath
Sustainable working is not just limited to the production of beer and water and MM Ilford will be made from a timber structure with a “hydroponic farm with poly tunnels on the roof”.
Herbs and food can be grown on there which will be used in cooking for the market below.
The market will be linked by a news entrance at Redbridge Town Hall, so culture vultures can grab a bite to eat before checking out Spece’s art gallery.
Council leader, Councillor Jas Athwal said: “This is a fantastic announcement to bring Mercato to Ilford and demonstrates how serious we are to rejuvenate and improve our town centre.
“Mercato will be a brilliant partner who has some great social and environmental initiatives and I look forward to seeing them deliver their high quality and diverse food and drink outlets here next year.
“I would recommend a visit to their Elephant and Castle site and hope lots of residents attend the consultation.”
To find out more about Mercato Ilford go along to the public consultation on Saturday, November 24 from 10am to 12noon at Redbridge Central Library, Clements Road, Ilford.