BREAKING: Plans unveiled for second new public swimming pool in Redbridge
- Credit: Archant
Plans for a second new public swimming pool in Redbridge have been announced today.
Redbridge Council has confirmed the current pool at Loxford School of Science and Technology in Ilford will be opened up to residents following an improvement programme.
The facility will be available for the public to use outside of school hours, including over the summer holidays.
The announcement comes just weeks after the council unveiled plans to build a new pool at Mayfield School in Goodmayes.
Cllr Wes Streeting told the Recorder it was “fantastic news”.
You may also want to watch:
“Our challenge has been how we can make better use of the facilities that exist,” he said.
Cllr Streeting praised the Loxford Lane school, saying he had been “really impressed” with their efforts to help.
- 1 Driver dies after Ilford shopfront crash
- 2 Man dies after fall near Hainault station
- 3 Fireaway pizza branch to open in South Woodford
- 4 Driver in critical condition after Ilford shop crash
- 5 Covid cases drop at Queen’s and King George hospitals
- 6 Chigwell child sex offender who posed as teen online jailed
- 7 Hospital left dying 103-year-old veteran without food, inquest hears
- 8 'Very challenging': Ilford businesses still struggling months after return
- 9 Jailed: ‘Opportunistic predator’ who kidnapped and raped woman
- 10 Which venues have been crowned Redbridge's Hospitality Heroes?
“The wards of Loxford and Clementswood are some of the most deprived in Redbridge,” he said.
Prior to council elections in May, Labour had pledged to provide a new pool for the borough, six years after the closure of Ilford Swimming Pool in Ilford High Road which left Redbridge with just one public pool at Fullwell Cross Leisure Centre.
Cllr Streeting, cabinet member for health and wellbeing, said the authority hoped to further improve swimming provision, with the waiting list for lessons currently sitting at more than 1,000.
“In the longer term we will be looking at provision in teh west of the borough – that’s more aspirational,” he said.
“We are focused on delivering on our pledge and expanding access to swimming.”