Breaking news: Redbridge hospital’s A&E and labour ward will close
CONTROVERSIAL proposals to close King George Hospital’s A&E and labour ward have been approved tonight in a landslide vote.
To shouts of “stitch up” and “shame”, members of the joint committee of PCTs voted in favour of the plans which have been a focus of fierce opposition.
The committee, meeting in Stratford Old Town Hall, Stratford, heard from more than 15 members of the public each airing fears over the closures.
One powerful plea came from London Ambulance Service paramedic Jacqui Duly, who said parts of King George, in Barley Lane, Goodmayes, were being closed by “stealth”.
She claimed Queen’s Hospital, Romford, was already struggling to cope with existing demand.
You may also want to watch:
But the 20 voting members of the committee approved the plans, without a single vote against.
Redbridge Council’s health scrutiny committee will now have the power to defer the proposals to Secretary of State for Health Andrew Lansley for review.
- 1 Two men assaulted with pole after car driven into them
- 2 Fairlop Waters, numbers, NHS and child exploitation
- 3 Two men arrested after kidnapping in broad daylight in South Woodford
- 4 Pedestrian suffers 'life-threatening head injury' in Redbridge collision
- 5 Police officer sacked after 'encouraging friend to lie about collision'
- 6 Man charged with murder after elderly woman found dead in bathtub in Clayhall home
- 7 Hainault teen lands coveted slot on dance touring company
- 8 Man in hospital after car flips over in Wanstead
- 9 Barkingside axe attack: Man arrested on suspicion of attempted murder, police appeal for witnesses
- 10 Two men arrested in Chigwell on suspicion of kidnap
The committee has already indicated it will do so when it meets at the end of January.
For more reaction to the vote, log on to the Recorder in the morning.