Blue badge refusal makes Clayhall man feel like a ‘prisoner’
A DAD-of-two says he feels like a prisoner after being refused a renewal for his blue badge – despite having one for the 23 years.
David Grant was denied a new blue badge in September and again last month after visiting an occupational therapist for an examination after an appeal.
Mr Grant, 60, of Clayhall Avenue, Clayhall, has osteoarthritis in his hip which has spread to other parts of his body, including his left shoulder.
A shoulder replacement operation has failed to alleviate the pain.
He said: “Every movement I make is painful. My quality of life is absolutely awful because wherever I go, I can’t park anywhere because I haven’t got a blue badge.
You may also want to watch:
“I feel like a prisoner.”
The blue badge needs to be renewed every three years and Ilford North MP Lee Scott has written to Redbridge Council on behalf of Mr Grant asking it to reassess his case with a view to overturning its decision.
- 1 Attempted murder arrest after woman seriously injured in Barkingside
- 2 Man arrested on suspicion of murder after elderly woman dies in Clayhall
- 3 Redbridge pubs gear up for outdoor opening
- 4 Criticism of 'comedy of errors' consultation for Wanstead flat extension plans
- 5 Plans submitted for more than 500 homes on former Goodmayes Homebase site
- 6 Prince Philip death: Redbridge pays tribute to Duke of Edinburgh
- 7 Plaistow man denies murdering two men in Goodmayes
- 8 Former Redbridge Council staffer charged with child sexual exploitation crimes in Australia
- 9 Three arrests after cannabis raids in Dagenham and South Woodford
- 10 Man in hospital after being slashed multiple times in Wanstead
Mr Grant said: “I’m not on any benefits or anything. I’ve been made to feel like I’m trying to get something that I wasn’t entitled to.
“I just don’t understand why I haven’t been given a renewal.”
The report by the occupational therapist noted there was “no evidence of considerable pain”, but Mr Grant says he is in “constant pain”.
A spokesman for Redbridge Council said: “The eligibility guidelines for blue badges are set by the Department for Transport and were changed in January 2008.
“Mr Grant has been assessed and was not found to be eligible under the revised government guidelines.”