Blue badge refusal makes Clayhall man feel like a ‘prisoner’
A DAD-of-two says he feels like a prisoner after being refused a renewal for his blue badge – despite having one for the 23 years.
David Grant was denied a new blue badge in September and again last month after visiting an occupational therapist for an examination after an appeal.
Mr Grant, 60, of Clayhall Avenue, Clayhall, has osteoarthritis in his hip which has spread to other parts of his body, including his left shoulder.
A shoulder replacement operation has failed to alleviate the pain.
He said: “Every movement I make is painful. My quality of life is absolutely awful because wherever I go, I can’t park anywhere because I haven’t got a blue badge.
“I feel like a prisoner.”
The blue badge needs to be renewed every three years and Ilford North MP Lee Scott has written to Redbridge Council on behalf of Mr Grant asking it to reassess his case with a view to overturning its decision.
- 1 Jailed: Teen who inflicted life-changing injuries as he squirted acid in boy's face
- 2 Awards nomination for 'rights champion' schoolgirl, 9
- 3 Ilford social club elects new president for 2022
- 4 'Time to end the injustice': Barts staff set to strike amid pay dispute
- 5 How often do Londoners cycle to work in each borough?
- 6 Fake Dyson Airwrap and Primark baby toy among recent recalled items
- 7 Travel Bulletin: Havering, Redbridge, Barking and Dagenham
- 8 Police no longer looking for man wanted in connection with assault
- 9 New documentary on murders of women whose bodies were hidden in freezer
- 10 Driver charged in connection with fatal collision on M11 due in court
Mr Grant said: “I’m not on any benefits or anything. I’ve been made to feel like I’m trying to get something that I wasn’t entitled to.
“I just don’t understand why I haven’t been given a renewal.”
The report by the occupational therapist noted there was “no evidence of considerable pain”, but Mr Grant says he is in “constant pain”.
A spokesman for Redbridge Council said: “The eligibility guidelines for blue badges are set by the Department for Transport and were changed in January 2008.
“Mr Grant has been assessed and was not found to be eligible under the revised government guidelines.”