Area One: Redbridge Green Fair denied funding by committee
- Credit: Archant
The Redbridge Green Fair was dramatically denied funding by the area one committee amid shouting from a member of the public on Monday.
Paul Kaufman, of Wanstead, speaking on behalf of the fair, asked for £500 to help fund the 10,000 capacity event at Valentines Park, which runs every two years.
He said the event “brings kudos to the borough”.
But when initial cost concerns were expressed by Cllr Michelle Dunn (Con, Wanstead) and Cllr Sue Nolan (Con, Snaresbrook), one unnamed member of the public shouted he would pay the £500 the Green Fair required from the area one committee.
Speaking after the meeting, Mr Kaufman said: “The decision was very disappointing.
You may also want to watch:
“The Green Fair is the only event in Redbridge that highlights environmental issues.
“It is a terrible pity that the committee could not offer it a modest amount of support.”
- 1 Woman's body found in Chadwell Heath
- 2 Ilford mosque attendees attacked with eggs and stones
- 3 Police car flips over in Chadwell Heath collision
- 4 Man stabbed in Goodmayes
- 5 Detectives hunt for knifepoint phone robber in Woodford Green
- 6 Animals bite rubbish after wheelie bin delivery delay
- 7 Appeal to help find missing girl who may be in Dagenham, Ilford or Stratford
- 8 Crunch meeting fails to provide breakthrough in school sick pay dispute
- 9 Teen stabbed in Chadwell Heath
- 10 Six males detained after alleged brawl in Gants Hill
Asked whether he knew the identity of the man shouting his support for the fair, Mr Kaufman replied: “I do not know who he was - I was surprised. Incidently he did not give me any “dosh” [afterwards].”