Tens of thousands of EU citizens in Redbridge apply to stay in UK
- Credit: PA
Tens of thousands of EU citizens in Redbridge have applied to live and work in the UK after Brexit, according to the Home Office.
The EU Settlement Scheme allows resident EU and Swiss citizens, plus those from the European Economic Area countries, to apply to continue living and working in the UK.
The Government has hailed the process as a success, saying it has received more than 3million applications so far.
But EU citizens' rights campaign group the3million says even a small percentage of individuals missing out means misery for thousands.
Official figures show that 34,910 applications were made in Redbridge up to the end of last year, of which 30,390 were finalised.
You may also want to watch:
Of those, 15,690 applicants were granted settled status, meaning they have a permanent right to remain in the UK.
A further 14,570 were handed pre-settled status, which gives them permission to keep living in the country and the chance to reapply once they have done so for five years.
- 1 East London police officer charged with rape
- 2 Teen dies after being stabbed in reported fight on Loxford street
- 3 ‘Game-changing’ kebab chain to open Barkingside branch
- 4 Liverpool Street to Shenfield line suspended as person hit by train
- 5 South Woodford curry house named best in the nation
- 6 Childhood sweethearts to open 'Brick Lane-style' deli in Barkingside
- 7 Roof damaged in Seven Kings house fire
- 8 Mapped: Possession of weapons across east London
- 9 More strike action planned in Newbury Park school dispute
- 10 Opera star Jonathan Antoine to return to the stage ahead of US tour
The rest of the applications had other outcomes, such as being refused, withdrawn or void, or invalid.
More than 3million EU citizens have applied to live and work in the UK after Brexit, according to the Home Office, and more than 2.7 million have been granted permission to remain.
The national figures cover up to the end of January.
Home Secretary Priti Patel described the programme as the "biggest of its kind in British history", which would mean "EU citizens can evidence their rights for decades to come", adding: "It's now time for EU countries to adopt a similar scheme."
But Maike Bohn, co-founder of the3million, said the figures do not shed light on those who don't apply, are refused unlawfully or discouraged from applying.
She added: "Just a small percentage of individuals falling through the cracks means misery for tens of thousands, perhaps even hundreds of thousands of people.
"Those people will face the full force of the hostile environment and the Government have so far avoided to say how it will handle those cases."
In Redbridge, Romanian nationals made the most applications up to the end of December (12,610), followed by people from Italy (5,140) and Lithuania (2,860).
Non-EEA countries and Bulgaria were also common places of origin for applicants, with 2,650 and 2,100 respectively.
Across the UK, Polish (512,310), Romanian (435,690) and Italian (290,990) nationals submitted the most applications.
Relatives of EU, EEA and Swiss citizens who are not from any of those countries themselves but live in the UK under EU law are also allowed to apply.
Successful applicants can stay after the deadline on June 30 2021 once the Brexit transition period and freedom of movement end.
They can use the NHS, study and access public funds and benefits, as well as travel in and out of the country.
In Redbridge, 18pc of applications were from under-18s, while just 2pc were from people aged 65 and over.
The figures for the age groups stood at 14pc and 2pc respectively across the UK, which Ms Bohn described as "worryingly low".