Aldborough Hatch gravel extraction work deadline recommended for two-year extension by officers
- Credit: citizenside.com
Two more years of disruption could be in store for residents after council officers recommended approving a two-year extension for works to restore a quarry.
Brett Lafarge has asked Redbridge Council for an extension to its activities at Aldborough Hall Farm, in Aldborough Hatch, blaming the recession for delays.
The application – due before the council’s regulatory committee on Thursday – has been supported by council officers, who recommended granting approval subject to a list of 56 conditions, including working to a strict timetable.
The company was initially given a deadline for completion by December 31 last year, but it has applied to prolong it until December 31 2016.
Members of the Aldborough Hatch Defence Association, which is running the Enough is Enough campaign against more gravel extraction, hit out when news broke of the application for a time limit extension.
You may also want to watch:
Chairman Ron Jeffries, 81, of Spearpoint Gardens, said “The residents were told these workings would take six years. They have taken almost 12 – twice as long. And it is laughable to plead lack of infill whilst Crossrail continues at a pace.”
And Jenny Chalmers, also of Spearpoint Gardens, said: “I have had to live with the noise, dust and pollution coming from it for the last 12 years.
- 1 Driver dies after Ilford shopfront crash
- 2 Man dies after fall near Hainault station
- 3 Fireaway pizza branch to open in South Woodford
- 4 Driver in critical condition after Ilford shop crash
- 5 Covid cases drop at Queen’s and King George hospitals
- 6 Chigwell child sex offender who posed as teen online jailed
- 7 Hospital left dying 103-year-old veteran without food, inquest hears
- 8 'Very challenging': Ilford businesses still struggling months after return
- 9 Jailed: ‘Opportunistic predator’ who kidnapped and raped woman
- 10 Which venues have been crowned Redbridge's Hospitality Heroes?
“Redbridge Council needs to now think about the best needs of the residents.”
Simon Treacy, Brett Lafarge’s estates manager, said the restoration has taken longer than expected because of “decreased activity” in the construction industry leading to short supply of materials.
He said the company was “confident” it would complete the restoration by the end of 2016.