‘Lives are being put at risk’: Redbridge councillors angry speed gun cannot be used
- Credit: Archant
A speed gun funded by an area committee, which has been out of use since November, has left councillors frustrated at the lack of action by police.
Following a question from the public, detailing the problem with speeding in Tomswood Hill, Hainault, councillors were left questing why tweaks to the speed gun – re-certifying and re-calibrating it so speeding tickets can be issued – had not be done.
Speaking at a meeting of area committee three on Wednesday at Redbridge Sports and Leisure Centre, Forest Road, Barkingside, Cllr Alex Phillips said: “It is really frustrating that after we paid for the speed gun, that nothing has been done to fund the £300. I wrote to the borough commander who hasn’t responded.
“We had an agreement on this. The aim of the gun was to keep residents safe and because no action has been taken, lives are being put at risk.”
Cllr Nick Hayes added: “I am concerned because this item was discussed at the last meeting. The important thing is that the gun is made available as soon a possible and used when appropriate.”
You may also want to watch:
Sgt Richard Egan added that the gun had still been used as a deterrent to speeding drivers.
The committee also agreed to investigate how much it would cost to install “check your speed signs” in Tomswood Hill following a suggestions from the public.
- 1 Cash and jewellery taken in Ilford shop robbery
- 2 Car fire on A406 in South Woodford causing 'serious' delays
- 3 Upcycle and recycle market coming to former Goodmayes Homebase site
- 4 Seven charged after police crackdown on alleged county lines
- 5 Lloyds Bank announces Gants Hill branch closure
- 6 Girl, 16, allegedly raped in Ilford park
- 7 'I know how much they help': Teacher to continue motivational sessions
- 8 MP Sam Tarry: 'Much more needs to be done to support local businesses'
- 9 TfL admits wrongly charging supercar driver almost £1k in emission fees
- 10 Doctor struck off after working underqualified for locum shifts