London fire chief calls for a ‘total ban’ on disposable barbecues
- Credit: London Fire Brigade
London’s fire chief has called for a “total ban” on disposable barbecues as the capital braces for a potential second summer heatwave.
The warning comes after the London Fire Brigade (LFB) experienced its “busiest week” in history last week.
London’s Fire Commissioner Andy Roe said “urgent action” was needed to introduce a national ban on the sale of disposable barbecues which he warned could cause “untold damage”.
A petition has been launched on the Government website, which has already garnered more than 5,000 signatures.
Firefighters attended more than 1,000 fires in the week from July 18 as temperatures soared, taking more than twice as many calls as usual and tackling an unprecedented number of large grassland fires.
During that period the brigade received 8,302 calls, while on average it usually takes around 450 calls a day.
Mr Roe said people behaved “carelessly” and “recklessly” despite warnings about grass fires.
On Saturday, July 23, firefighters prevented a serious blaze at Wanstead Flats in east London, caused by a disposable barbecue.
Mr Roe said disposable barbecues “can be bought for as little as £5 and can cause untold damage, especially when the grass is as dry as it has been over the last few weeks”.
- 1 Pair charged with creating fake Covid vaccination records
- 2 Met Office: Thunderstorm warning issued for London
- 3 Product sold at Tesco recalled due to risk of disease-causing bacteria
- 4 Newbury Park grass fire sees homes evacuated
- 5 Ilford fast food restaurant permitted to open later
- 6 Convicted killer 'attacked sister-in-law after repeated threats', court hears
- 7 Bleed kit in memory of doorman Ricky Hayden installed outside nightclub
- 8 Fairlop man locked up for rabbi assault
- 9 Item thrown from A13 bridge smashes windscreen and injures driver
- 10 Five tower blocks included in housing plans for Sainsbury's in Ilford
He added: “Last week is another example of how we are increasingly being challenged by new extremes of weather as our climate changes and we’re developing long-term strategies to deal with more incidents like this in the future.”
Waitrose, Aldi, and other retailers have announced they will no longer stock disposable barbecues because of their detrimental impact on the environment and wildlife.
The LFB is calling on Marks and Spencer, Asda, Sainsbury's and Tesco to do the same.
That day the fire service saw its busiest day since the Second World War as a result of the extreme temperatures, taking 2,670 calls and attending 1,146 incidents.
A total of 16 homes were lost in the large fire in Wennington, east London, and crews had to fight to save the fire station itself from the flames.
A spokesperson for Sainsbury's said: "We offer customers the choice of reusable and disposable BBQs. Our disposable BBQ packaging includes advice on safe use and disposal, which customers are encouraged to follow."
Marks and Spencer, Asda and Tesco have been contacted for comment.