Leona Lewis runs songwriting workshop at Haven House Children’s Hospice
- Credit: Archant
Singer/songwriter Leona Lewis took time out of her busy schedule for a surprise visit to Haven House Children’s Hospice.
She held a songwriting workshop at Haven House’s Holistic Care Centre in Woodford Green with five young people from its Teenage Cancer Group.
The group is an opportunity for young people with cancer to have fun, make friends and receive support. As part of a music project, the teenagers are creating their own song based on their experiences.
On Monday, the teenagers spent the afternoon developing ideas for lyrics in Haven House’s Amy Winehouse Foundation Music Room with Leona offering song-writing tips.
After the workshop Leona posed for photographs and stayed longer for art activities in Haven House’s Training and Education Room.
You may also want to watch:
Roxanne Scott, Haven House music therapist, said: “Having Leona visit was really special and she was so supportive of the teenagers.
“It was a complete surprise for them and she gave valuable reflections about the songwriting process.
- 1 Arrests in Ilford and East Ham as police target suspected county lines gang
- 2 Newbury Park supermarket security staff step in to help man in crisis
- 3 Man found stabbed in Chadwell Heath
- 4 Doctor struck off after working underqualified for locum shifts
- 5 Businesses find cannabis growing in their flower pots
- 6 Council dishes out £7k of fines in fly-tipping crackdown
- 7 Covid jabs available at town hall clinic
- 8 Fire at Ilford Lane shop was accidental, brigade says
- 9 Two arrests after alleged assault on teen in Newbury Park
- 10 Ilford charity boss named in Queen’s Birthday Honours
“Music provides a valuable opportunity for young people to share their experiences about what it’s like to live with cancer and the challenges they face.
“The teenagers have already come up with all of the musical ideas which we have turned into a demo track and we hope to record the vocals for the song in the next few months.”
Jessica Wilson, 18, from Chingford, said: “It was an amazing experience to spend time with Leona and we are really grateful she came to visit Haven House. When she spoke about the importance of taking time out to reflect on things, like in songwriting, but also in life, I found that useful.”
Find out more about our Teenage Cancer Group by visiting havenhouse.org.uk/teenage-cancer-group