League One: Dagenham & Redbridge 2 Charlton Athletic 1

Nurse and Green net as Daggers continue recent run.

Dagenham & Redbridge 2 Charlton Athletic 1

If you had judged both teams fortunes on this match alone, you would have thought Charlton would be the side struggling at the basement of League One.

But the Daggers put in their most assertive performance of the season to come out victorious and at many times it was a question of how many against a very sub-standard showing from the Addicks.

The Victoria Road outfit dominated from the off and bar a 15 minute spell of pressure in the first half, and for two added minutes at the end of the match, Dagenham were always in the ascendancy.

The hosts lead could have led as early as 17 seconds but Charlton keeper Ross Worner pushed the ball behind for a corner.

Charlton were being carved open at ease and Peter Gain saw his shot deflected wide of the target after the visitors defence failed to deal with a Danny Green long throw.

Most Read

But slowly the former Premiership side started to get into the game, with wingers Alan McCormack and the lively Scott Wagstaff the main threat as they enjoyed plenty of set pieces but with no end product as both Miguel Llera and Christian Dailly headed wide.

That was good as it was to get for Chris Powell’s men though as with 33 minutes on the clock Dagenham took a lead that was very much deserved.

A kick from the largely unperturbed home keeper Tony Roberts found Green out wide and although the winger’s first attempt was weak, he got a second opportunity and it took a deflection to Nurse on the edge of the box and the striker rifled it across goal and into the neat with the aid of a slight deflection past Worner.

The Daggers continued to threaten a very unorganised Charlton defence with Green twice going close and top scorer Romain Vincelot saw a header fall onto the roof of the net on the stroke of half time.

Dagenham knew Charlton would attack from the off but they negated much of their little threat on goal with midfielder Dean Parrett, making his first start after a loan switch from Tottenham Hotspur fired wide.

And it was the home side that got what proved to be a crucial second goal when Damian Scannell popped up on the right delivered the ball into the box and the Addicks defence left Green unmarked on the penalty spot and the 22-year-old emphatically finished into the roof of the net.

It was no more than they deserved and it could quite easily have been even more as Green’s deflect effort was saved by Worner and Nurse shot just wide.

Wagstaff, Charlton’s most threatening player was surprisingly taken off for Kyel Reid and was met by a chorus of ‘You don’t know what you’re doing’ from the strong Charlton following.

It is an early sign signalled at Chris Powell and shows their early optimism of their once much-loved former player has soon turned into one of affliction.

Mark Arber had another solid display at centre half alongside Scott Doe – with the former almost adding number three when he saw his header from Green’s corner strike the outside of the left upright.

At the other end West Ham loanee Frank headed goalwards, but it was an effort that had more height than power and Roberts gathered at ease from two yards out.

But Nouble did find the net two minutes into stoppage time, although he could hardly miss it from close range after Bradley Wright-Phillips by-line ball into the box.

It would have been unfair if Charlton had snatched a point from the game, and although there was a few anxious moments from the home crowd, Dagenham played out the remainder of the game without any real threat to seal what proved to be a vital and much-deserved three points, with four of the seven teams around them at the bottom of League One also picking up wins.

Dagenham & Redbridge: Roberts, Ogogo, Ilesanmi, Arber, Doe, Gain, Green, Vincelot, Scannell (Taiwo 90), Nurse, Savage.

Unused: Lewington, Ifil, Antwi, Walsh, Currie, Morgan.