Late opening of car park causes travel disruption in Ilford
The late opening of a car park caused travel disruption in Ilford during the rush-hour this morning.
The Britannia car park in Clements Road, Ilford, normally opens at 6.30am but remained closed two hours later according to a member of a nearby health club.
Manjit Singh, 40, of Ilford, who uses the Virgin Active Health Club in Clements Road, waited for 45 minutes to gain entry to the 650-space car park before giving up.
He said the car park remained closed after he left Virgin Active at 8.30am.
He said: “From Winston Way roundabout, it was clogged up with traffic because cars and buses couldn’t get through.
You may also want to watch:
“People were still queuing at 8.30am.
“There was a lot of disruption because of traffic from the Virgin Active members and the builders [working in Clements Road].”
- 1 Mercato Ilford 'delayed again' as council pushes for Christmas opening
- 2 Revealed: The most popular baby names in your area in 2020
- 3 'Not acceptable': Residents mount opposition to plumbers' building plan
- 4 Road and rail round-up: Disruptions to travel in east London this week
- 5 Young Citizen nominee: Esha, 4, who inspired thousands to join bone marrow donor list
- 6 Jailed: Men who laundered £25m from cash and carry warehouses
- 7 Cross-party group demands mayor reject Tesco Goodmayes development
- 8 Two more police 'enforcement hubs' to open in Redbridge
- 9 The most expensive houses sold in your east London borough in August
- 10 Police warn of 'violence, urination' as takeaway applies for late licence
The official opening time of the car park is 7am but Mr Singh, who has been a member of the health club for a year, said an attendant always opens it at 6.30am.
A Britannia Parking spokesman said the car park opened at 8.30am but would not provide any further comment.