Late opening of car park causes travel disruption in Ilford
The late opening of a car park caused travel disruption in Ilford during the rush-hour this morning.
The Britannia car park in Clements Road, Ilford, normally opens at 6.30am but remained closed two hours later according to a member of a nearby health club.
Manjit Singh, 40, of Ilford, who uses the Virgin Active Health Club in Clements Road, waited for 45 minutes to gain entry to the 650-space car park before giving up.
He said the car park remained closed after he left Virgin Active at 8.30am.
He said: “From Winston Way roundabout, it was clogged up with traffic because cars and buses couldn’t get through.
You may also want to watch:
“People were still queuing at 8.30am.
“There was a lot of disruption because of traffic from the Virgin Active members and the builders [working in Clements Road].”
- 1 'Uproar' at decision to fell protected oak tree in Hainault
- 2 Former Homebase development plans approved
- 3 Woodford Green and Forest Gate residents criticise councils over flooding
- 4 Water company apologises for phone line waits as flood response branded 'woefully inadequate'
- 5 More than £5m worth of stolen vehicles recovered in first Redbridge Action Week
- 6 East London travel disruption round-up for the week ahead
- 7 Developments approved in Redbridge so far in 2021
- 8 Redbridge clean-up underway after flash floods close A&E and damage homes
- 9 Ricardo Fuller death: Third man charged with murder
- 10 Inquest: Newham driver died of 'misadventure' after Redbridge police chase
The official opening time of the car park is 7am but Mr Singh, who has been a member of the health club for a year, said an attendant always opens it at 6.30am.
A Britannia Parking spokesman said the car park opened at 8.30am but would not provide any further comment.