‘Last event’ for Redbridge fundraisers
YOUNGSTERS are organising what may be their last ever fundraising event amid fears about the future of their volunteering project.
The North East London Youth Action Team, which is made up of teams from Redbridge and Havering, has announced its Halloween Spook Walk in Valentines Park on Sunday may be its last fundraising drive.
The project, which was launched as a pilot three years ago, draws to a close next year.
Backed by organisation Vinvolved, which aims to get more young people volunteering, it has seen teens organise numerous fundraising events for various charities.
Volunteering development manager, Sadia Ur-Rehman, youth volunteer development manager for vinvolved East London, said: “The pilot comes to an end next March and we don’t know whether we will be funded to continue. It is possible that this is the last youth action team event.
“It has been a really good project which has seen lots of interest from youngsters.
“We are hoping to get most of them linked up with other charities, so they will be able to continue their volunteering.
- 1 Jailed: Teen who inflicted life-changing injuries as he squirted acid in boy's face
- 2 Police no longer looking for man wanted in connection with assault
- 3 Travel Bulletin: Havering, Redbridge, Barking and Dagenham
- 4 Awards nomination for 'rights champion' schoolgirl, 9
- 5 'Time to end the injustice': Barts staff set to strike amid pay dispute
- 6 New documentary on murders of women whose bodies were hidden in freezer
- 7 How often do Londoners cycle to work in each borough?
- 8 Ilford social club elects new president for 2022
- 9 Driver charged in connection with fatal collision on M11 due in court
- 10 Men jailed for using explosives in string of ATM thefts
“A recent event we did with Frenford Youth Club saw a lot of our members getting involved with them.”
Volunteer Faeezah Hussain said: “I’ve been a member for two years and there’s only one word to describe it really, which is beneficial. It got me into university.
“It’s a shame that its coming to an end but we want to go out with a bang.”
The Youth Action Team was set up to encourage youngsters to give up their free time for good causes.
Its success stories have included a “big silly sleepwalk” in April to raise money for wish-granting charity The Dream Factory and a Summer Jam event with Frenford Youth Club in August.
The Spook Walk will take place from 2pm to 5pm and will raise money for disabled charity Redbridge Forum.