Lanterns set to illuminate Barkingside town square for Light Night
- Credit: Archant
Hundreds of colourful lanterns will illuminate the sky at an event celebrating the regeneration of Barkingside.
The new town square and pocket park will be officially launched during Light Night, an attraction which is taking place for only the second time.
The celebrations will include the unveiling of the square’s new name, at 3pm, performances from rock group The Novelty and Redbridge Music Lounge and a variety of food and drink will be on offer.
The day will be themed around an adaptation of Little Red Riding Hood and in the evening the square will be lit up by lanterns, including some handmade by schoolchildren.
The improvements to the area have been made under the Better Barkingside scheme.
Cllr Helen Coomb, cabinet member for planning and regeneration, said: “We want people to enjoy the space they live in. The Light Night event is a great way for the community to get together and enjoy some fantastic food and entertainment in a safe environment.
“We hope to see you there.”
- 1 Search continues for man who fled scene of Loxford stabbing
- 2 Events held to mark Ilford Christmas lights switch-on
- 3 Fairlop Waters car park to transform into ice-rink for Christmas
- 4 No more strikes planned at school but dispute resolution unclear
- 5 What are the chances of a white Christmas in London?
- 6 Missing man seen on Chigwell Road found 'safe and well'
- 7 Things to do in east London this weekend
- 8 Warning issued over fake Omicron variant test scam
- 9 Update on search for older man walking barefoot along Chigwell Road
- 10 Waiting almost over as business award winners to be revealed
Light Night will take place from 10am to 9pm on September 27.