Kind Ilford firefighters surprise blind brothers with holiday donation
Two blind boys have been presented with �1.500 towards a family holiday by kind firefighters thanks to help from the Recorder.
Brothers Mikey De Freitas, 11, and Rudy, 7, from Walmer Close, Romford, were presented with a cheque from Blue Watch at Ilford Fire Station on Tuesday after the pair were featured in an article in the paper last year.
Watch manager Dave Neicho read about the boys, who were both born blind because of a genetic condition, in the paper in December.
They were devastated that their cat, Duke, which was used as part of their therapy, had gone missing.
Dave, from Felstead Road, Collier Row, was looking for local youngsters to donate the cash to. It had been collected from shoppers at The Mall. The Recorder put him in touch with the family.
You may also want to watch:
He said: “I have got a little boy and the thought of him having a disability that would restrict his life would be devastating.”
Dave wanted to donate the money to the boys to help them to get a guide dog but, under guidelines set out by the National Blind Children’s Charity, children have to wait until 16 for guide dogs. Instead the cash will go towards a family holiday.
- 1 More than £5m worth of stolen vehicles recovered in first Redbridge Action Week
- 2 Cost of damage runs into thousands as Clayhall street clears up after floods
- 3 Ricardo Fuller death: Third man charged with murder
- 4 Olympian-trained South Woodford sprinter, 8, breaks record in Manchester
- 5 TV's Ben Shephard opens island themed playground at children’s hospice
- 6 Litter in Redbridge parks quadruples in one year, council reveals
- 7 Redbridge clean-up underway after flash floods close A&E and damage homes
- 8 Barkingside man arrested on suspicion of firearms offences
- 9 Engineering student wins place at Princeton University
- 10 The Sikh Network on grieving in lockdown and death 'as a process of life'
The boys’ mum, Lesley De Freitas, said: “What the firefighters are doing for us is so lovely.
“I took the boys away over Christmas for a week, but it was just a dreadful holiday and when they came back they were upset that Duke was missing.
“We haven’t been away properly for three years and it’s great because I do not have any money to take them away.”