‘Very proud moment’: Keys to Project Malachi handed to Ilford Salvation Army as construction finishes
- Credit: Archant
Construction of a council-backed temporary accommodation project in Ilford town centre has finished, two years on from receiving unanimous planning permission from councillors.
Project Malachi, which involves modular units being used as housing for Redbridge's homeless population, is the brainchild of Ilford's Salvation Army and received planning permission from Redbridge Council in 2018. It is scheduled to open on March 14.
The site in Chadwick Road now houses 42 accommodation units and will be staffed 24 hours a day, seven days a week by Salvation Army volunteers who will offer welfare support to people living there.
Each unit will include a bed, sofa, bathroom and kitchen area and the Salvation Army's Recycles Ilford will be based on the ground floor of the block which will provide work and training for a number of rough sleepers.
Ilford Salvation Army's John Clifton said: "We are delighted to have finally received the keys for Malachi Place. This is a huge milestone for us, and gives us a clear timeline for when we can get on with the real work of helping people.
You may also want to watch:
"Furniture will be delivered next week and people will move in after that.
"Congratulations to everyone who has worked hard to get to this point."
- 1 Two men arrested after kidnapping in broad daylight in South Woodford
- 2 Man charged with murder after elderly woman found dead in bathtub in Clayhall home
- 3 Two men arrested in Chigwell on suspicion of kidnap
- 4 Ilford business owners adjust to new world on reopening
- 5 Barkingside axe attack: Man arrested on suspicion of attempted murder, police appeal for witnesses
- 6 Attempted murder arrest after woman seriously injured in Barkingside
- 7 Redbridge leisure centres reopen after latest easing of restrictions
- 8 Physical and mental health long-Covid rehab programme launches in Ilford
- 9 Man arrested on suspicion of murder after elderly woman dies in Clayhall
- 10 Temporary post office to open in South Woodford