Key services at Redbridge hospital to close after changes
Health chief Andrew Landsley has accepted an independent report which recommends key services at King George Hospital to be closed.
The Secretary of State for Health this afternoon accepted the findings of the Independent Reconfiguration Panel, which found: “Attempting to provide safe, high quality A&E and maternity services at all six hospitals in north east London is not sustainable and the development of a major acute hospital at Queen’s Hospital will bring real benefits to patients.”
Mr Lansdley’s decision comes after more than three months of reports and investigations, which have looked into the state of healthcare in the hospital trust.
The Recorder, both Ilford MPs Lee Scott and Mike Gapes, and residents protested in the streets against the planned closure of the maternity and A&E departments.
But any changes will be put on hold until improvements had been made to existing services.
You may also want to watch:
A Department of Health spokesman said: “However, no changes will take place until the Care Quality Commission, which published its own report on local services today, has assured the Secretary of State that the services provided by Queen’s Hospital and other local health services are of a high standard.
Dr Peter Barrett, Chair of the IRP said: “During our review we heard many personal accounts of poor healthcare experiences and it is clear that the status quo is not acceptable. Steps need to be taken immediately to improve services before large-scale change can take place which will bring real benefits to patients now and in the future.”
- 1 Arrests in Ilford and East Ham as police target suspected county lines gang
- 2 Newbury Park supermarket security staff step in to help man in crisis
- 3 Covid jabs available at town hall clinic
- 4 Council dishes out £7k of fines in fly-tipping crackdown
- 5 Doctor struck off after working underqualified for locum shifts
- 6 Businesses find cannabis growing in their flower pots
- 7 Man found stabbed in Chadwell Heath
- 8 Average Redbridge house price nearly £30k higher than last year
- 9 Two arrests after alleged assault on teen in Newbury Park
- 10 Strike over Covid working dispute begins at Oaks Park High School
<a href="http://www.coveritlive.com/mobile.php/option=com_mobile/task=viewaltcast/altcast_code=b5e3c2a579" >Live - Future of King George Hospital</a>