Ken Livingstone visits Redbridge
London mayoral candidate Ken Livingstone is visiting Redbridge today to hold a series of public meetings.
Mr Livingstone, 65, will be joined by Ilford South MP Mike Gapes and Cllr Bob Littlewood as he tours Ilford town centre, Wanstead and Barkingside before holding a public question and answer session at Fullwell Cross library, in High Street, Barkinside at 6.30pm this evening.
The former Mayor, who held office between 2000 and 2008, has now launched his campaign to be re-elected to the position in May next year.
Mr Livingstone said that he is particularly concerned about the threatened closures at the King George Hospital, in Barley Lane, Goodmayes.
He said: “I have been working alongside residents in Redbridge and neighbouring boroughs to save A&E and maternity departments at King George Hospital from cuts.
You may also want to watch:
“I am looking forward to talking about the campaign to protect King George Hospital and other issues they are concerned about.”
Mr Gapes said: “I’m pleased Ken is spending a day in Redbridge to listen to the views and concerns of local people.
- 1 Police appeal to find girl, 12, last seen in Wanstead Park
- 2 Man charged with Ilford robbery
- 3 Seven Kings man charged in connection with alleged sex assault on boy
- 4 Primary schools in Redbridge rated outstanding by Ofsted
- 5 East London road and rail disruptions to travel this weekend
- 6 Walk-in Covid vaccinations on offer at Valentines Park health fair
- 7 Ilford mother 'could have been saved' and NHS 'failed' her, family tells inquest
- 8 Man wanted for allegedly driving 'recklessly' in Ilford with baby in car
- 9 Update: Man charged in connection with alleged sex assault
- 10 Plans for retail park development move step closer
“The huge fare rises and cuts to vital local services like youth clubs are unnecessary and really damaging to the quality of life of my constituents. It’s time for new leadership and policies in our town hall, at City Hall and in government.”
The Conservative candidate is current Mayor Boris Johnson, who took over from Mr Livingstone in May 2008.
The Green Party has also fielded a candidate - current London Assembly member Jenny Jones.
Where to meet Mr Livingstone:
? Morning – meet residents in Ilford town centre
? 12pm - Lunch in Wanstead
? 1.15pm - Walkabout in Wanstead High Street
? 2.30pm - Meeting with Safer Neighbourhood Police Team, Barkingside Police Station, High Street, Barkingside, Ilford
? 3pm – Meet residents on High Street, Barkingside
? 6.30pm: Public Q&A meeting ‘Tell Ken’, Fullwell Cross Library, High Street, Barkingside