Ken Livingstone visits Redbridge
London mayoral candidate Ken Livingstone is visiting Redbridge today to hold a series of public meetings.
Mr Livingstone, 65, will be joined by Ilford South MP Mike Gapes and Cllr Bob Littlewood as he tours Ilford town centre, Wanstead and Barkingside before holding a public question and answer session at Fullwell Cross library, in High Street, Barkinside at 6.30pm this evening.
The former Mayor, who held office between 2000 and 2008, has now launched his campaign to be re-elected to the position in May next year.
Mr Livingstone said that he is particularly concerned about the threatened closures at the King George Hospital, in Barley Lane, Goodmayes.
He said: “I have been working alongside residents in Redbridge and neighbouring boroughs to save A&E and maternity departments at King George Hospital from cuts.
You may also want to watch:
“I am looking forward to talking about the campaign to protect King George Hospital and other issues they are concerned about.”
Mr Gapes said: “I’m pleased Ken is spending a day in Redbridge to listen to the views and concerns of local people.
- 1 Woman's body found in Chadwell Heath
- 2 Ilford mosque attendees attacked with eggs and stones
- 3 Police car flips over in Chadwell Heath collision
- 4 Man stabbed in Goodmayes
- 5 Detectives hunt for knifepoint phone robber in Woodford Green
- 6 Animals bite rubbish after wheelie bin delivery delay
- 7 Appeal to help find missing girl who may be in Dagenham, Ilford or Stratford
- 8 Six males detained after alleged brawl in Gants Hill
- 9 Crunch meeting fails to provide breakthrough in school sick pay dispute
- 10 Doctors 'concerned' patients' health will suffer due to non-Covid backlog
“The huge fare rises and cuts to vital local services like youth clubs are unnecessary and really damaging to the quality of life of my constituents. It’s time for new leadership and policies in our town hall, at City Hall and in government.”
The Conservative candidate is current Mayor Boris Johnson, who took over from Mr Livingstone in May 2008.
The Green Party has also fielded a candidate - current London Assembly member Jenny Jones.
Where to meet Mr Livingstone:
? Morning – meet residents in Ilford town centre
? 12pm - Lunch in Wanstead
? 1.15pm - Walkabout in Wanstead High Street
? 2.30pm - Meeting with Safer Neighbourhood Police Team, Barkingside Police Station, High Street, Barkingside, Ilford
? 3pm – Meet residents on High Street, Barkingside
? 6.30pm: Public Q&A meeting ‘Tell Ken’, Fullwell Cross Library, High Street, Barkingside