Junior doctors at Ilford hospital begin first ‘all-out’ strike
PUBLISHED: 14:02 26 April 2016 | UPDATED: 14:02 26 April 2016
Junior doctors have been on the picket line outside King George Hospital, in Barley Lane, Goodmayes, from 8am this morning.
The strike sees junior doctors withdraw from emergency care for the first time ever, affecting departments which were previously exempt from industrial action, such as Accident & Emergency, intensive care and maternity departments.
After walking out at 8am this morning, they will remain on strike until 5pm today and tomorrow, as the ongoing row with the government about proposed contract changes escalates.
Junior doctor Naomi Oliver, 27, who works at King George Hospital, said she felt like the British Medical Association, which represents the junior doctors, had played their last card.
She said: “This is the first full walk-out ever.
“None of us wanted to be out here today, but we needed to take this step.
“I feel like we have played our last card but we are always willing to go back to the table for negotiations.”
Joining the junior doctors on the picket line was supporter Benny Caputo, 77, from Ilford.
He said: “I wanted to show my support for the junior doctors.
“I feel that the NHS is under attack and I wanted to help.
“I have faced a lot of delays for my appointments and operations but it’s not the doctors fault.”
Junior doctor Ishita Sinha, 26, has been a junior doctor for four years, and said it was “horrible” to be stood outside.
She said: “We are striking together to show solidarity.
“We all think it’s unsafe and unfair but it was a very hard decision to go on strike this morning.”
To read a full report of the strikes in Redbridge this week, pick up a copy of the Ilford Recorder on Thursday.
If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Ilford Recorder. Click the link in the orange box above for details.