Jailed: Teenage carjacking cartel who burgled 49 homes across Redbridge, Havering and Barking and Dagenham
PUBLISHED: 15:45 14 September 2018
PA Archive/Press Association Images
Five teenagers who formed a carjacking cartel and burgled 49 homes across Redbridge, Havering and Barking and Dagenham have been jailed for a combined total of 20 years and four months.
Lukas Misiunas and Dovydas Seilius, both 18, pleaded guilty to conspiracy to burglary and conspiracy to steal motor vehicles at Snaresbrook Crown Court on Thursday, September 6.
Three accomplices aged 18, 17 and 16 – who cannot be named for legal reasons – also pleaded guilty to the same offences.
The group carried out 49 break-ins and four attempted break-ins between July 1 last year and March 15, 2018 across Barking and Dagenham, Redbridge and Havering in order to steal high-end vehicles parked outside.
“These were well organised sophisticated offences with cars being stolen to order,” said Judge Southern during sentencing.
The burglaries were generally at night-time when the houses were occupied and “in some cases children were present,” she said.
Judge Paul Southern added that there was a “well-practiced methodology” of changing number plates before the cars were sold on and the burglaries were “executed with practiced professionalism”.
“In one case the disabled daughter of the householder was unable to attend school for two weeks following the burglary because essential equipment to facilitate that had been lost with the theft of the family car,” he said.
Misiunas also admitted a seperate burglarly in Grove Road, Dagenham, on Christmas Day last year as well as two street robberies, aggravated vehicle taking and handling stolen goods.
Judge Southern said he considered this burglary to be of a different kind because “its focus was not the theft of a car”.
He said: “It was an unpleasant burglary, not just because it was a night time burglary of an occupied dwelling, but because Christmas presents were stolen as well as other items of value.
On January 19, Misuinas also reversed his car into an unmarked police car in a bid to evade being apprehended by police while outside a primary school.
But his getaway attempt was cut short when he crashed into two vehicles as he tried to force his way between them.
Misiunas, of no fixed abode, was sentenced to four years and six months and ordered to pay a £170 victim surcharge.
Seilius, also of no fixed abode, was sentenced to four years and three months.
The 18, 17, 16-year-old accomplices were sentened to 4 years and seven months, three years and 6 months and three years respectively.
Redbridge Council leader Cllr Jas Athwal hailed the sentencing of cartel, who he dubbed the “Clayhall burglars”, as a success of the council’s cooperation with the police.
He said: “This successful prosecution of five suspects proves that our work is successful, an investment in CCTV, enforcement officers and our work with the police is paying off!”