International Women’s Day marked with swims in pink-coloured pool in Redbridge
- Credit: Archant
Redbridge swimmers were literally in the pink yesterday as they celebrated the borough’s International Women’s Week while keeping fit in a brightly-coloured pool.
Visitors to Fullwell Cross Leisure Centre in High Street, Barkingside, did their laps of the pool and took part in aqua-fit sessions in water which had been dyed pink.
And women have donated around 200 bras in pink bins in four locations in the borough which will mean African women can get bras at much cheaper prices.
A week of activities has been organised by Vision Redbridge, the council’s culture and leisure arm, to mark International Women’s Day today.
Gemma Tully, the active for life co-ordinator with Vision’s sport and health team, said: “I think the swimmers were pleasantly surprised and the kids who took part were really excited.”
You may also want to watch:
African women pay around £8 for a bra which can be too expensive, but the scheme, run by Against Breast Cancer, means they can be sold by market traders at much cheaper prices or donated directly to women for free.
The charity is also given money towards breast cancer research for the bras it collects.
- 1 Two arrests after alleged assault on teen in Newbury Park
- 2 Strike over Covid working dispute begins at Oaks Park High School
- 3 Thousands sign petition opposing gas company plan to take over allotments
- 4 New trees to be planted at Fairlop Waters
- 5 Former Met worker sentenced for stealing lost property cash
- 6 Ilford primary teacher joins campaign to get people teaching
- 7 Woodford Green pupil reaches final of national science and engineering competition
- 8 'Beyond my wildest dreams': Redbridge tutor receives MBE
- 9 Ilford charity boss named in Queen’s Birthday Honours
- 10 Redbridge pupils shortlisted in competition to design Olympic Park pavilion
A Zumba in pink session was held at Vine United Reformed Church in High Road, Ilford, on Monday and tomorrow, there will be zumba in Valentines Park, Ilford, at midday.
A fun session will be held at the swimming pool tomorrow from 2pm to 3pm.
The pink bins are at the leisure centre; Redbridge Central Library in Clements Road, Ilford; Lynton House in High Road, Ilford and Wanstead Leisure Centre in Redbridge Lane West.