Indian independence celebrated in Ilford
INDIA’S independence was celebrated by more than 300 people who sang, danced and tucked into a host of tasty treats.
Revellers celebrated Indian Independence Day last week at he Vishwa Hindu Parishad, Cleveland Road, Ilford.
It is 64 years since India became independent from British rule and the milestone is marked annually.
Redbridge Asian Mandal (RAM) and the Social Indian Traditional Association gathered to mark the occasion.
The event was also a chance for the group to offer support to elderly or housebound members who do not normally attend events.
You may also want to watch:
Food was donated by generous members and a traditional Indian play was performed.
RAM member Ben Gadhia said: “It was a thoroughly enjoyable day and it was a wonderful chance for everyone to get together.”
- 1 Murder probe launched after mother-of-two’s body found in Chadwell Heath
- 2 Election 2021: Live updates for London Assembly, Loxford and Seven Kings
- 3 Man wanted in connection with dangerous driving incident in Newbury Park
- 4 'No stone will be left unturned' to find killer of Maria Jane Rawlings
- 5 Man stabbed in Goodmayes
- 6 Woman's body found in Chadwell Heath
- 7 Mosque director: Ilford egg attack highlights Islamophobia Muslims face
- 8 Police car flips over in Chadwell Heath collision
- 9 Ilford mosque attendees attacked with eggs and stones
- 10 Have you seen Casey, 16, missing from Ilford?