Indian independence celebrated in Ilford
INDIA’S independence was celebrated by more than 300 people who sang, danced and tucked into a host of tasty treats.
Revellers celebrated Indian Independence Day last week at he Vishwa Hindu Parishad, Cleveland Road, Ilford.
It is 64 years since India became independent from British rule and the milestone is marked annually.
Redbridge Asian Mandal (RAM) and the Social Indian Traditional Association gathered to mark the occasion.
The event was also a chance for the group to offer support to elderly or housebound members who do not normally attend events.
You may also want to watch:
Food was donated by generous members and a traditional Indian play was performed.
RAM member Ben Gadhia said: “It was a thoroughly enjoyable day and it was a wonderful chance for everyone to get together.”
- 1 Owner who posted video of his restaurant defying Covid rules loses licence
- 2 Ilford man raises awareness of 'life-saving' gadget after dad's death
- 3 South Woodford post office to close in the spring
- 4 Fire breaks out at care home under renovation in Newbury Park
- 5 South Woodford flat 'has parties several times a week during lockdown'
- 6 Have you seen this 17-year-old missing from Wanstead?
- 7 Plans for 66ft 5G mast in Goodmayes alarms residents
- 8 Woman had phone stolen at knife-point in Woodford Green
- 9 Ilford Exchange Debenhams to permanently close
- 10 Restaurant stripped of its alcohol licence