IN PICTURES: Trail of destruction left by ‘Hainault tornado’
Trees were uprooted, a trampoline was blown on to a street and a bus stop was toppled over as what residents have reported to be a tornado ripped through Hainault this afternoon.
Roofs were also damaged in four roads, including Arrowsmith Road and Fawn Road, and a car parked in a driveway was written off after being hit by falling debris.
Romford Fire Station manager Ronnie Bates told the Recorder about 20 houses were damaged by the strong winds.
Maureen Durieu, of Fawn Road, said: “It was absolutely terrifying.
“First it was the sound of the rain and then the wind. Then you could hear the tiles coming off and just smashing into walls and cars.
You may also want to watch:
“We knew it had to be a tornado. We were scared for our lives.”
To view a gallery of images showing damage caused by the suspected tornado, click on the link at the top right of this page.
- 1 Childhood sweethearts to open 'Brick Lane-style' deli in Barkingside
- 2 Ex-council staff who was sacked after bailiffs turned up at his work loses unfair dismissal claim
- 3 'Like prisoners in our home': Parents of attacked 13-year-old speak out
- 4 Road and rail disruptions to expect in east London this week
- 5 Walk It Out founder launches women's boxing classes
- 6 Thirteen-year-old boy attacked in Ilford
- 7 Restaurant apologises after allegations of verbal abuse between staff
- 8 Eatery 'at risk of closure' as scammers exploit Just Eat loophole
- 9 Vulnerable woman dies burning charcoal for warmth after gas and electricity are cut off
- 10 Hundreds arrested after police crackdown on county lines