IN PICTURES: Trail of destruction left by ‘Hainault tornado’
Trees were uprooted, a trampoline was blown on to a street and a bus stop was toppled over as what residents have reported to be a tornado ripped through Hainault this afternoon.
Roofs were also damaged in four roads, including Arrowsmith Road and Fawn Road, and a car parked in a driveway was written off after being hit by falling debris.
Romford Fire Station manager Ronnie Bates told the Recorder about 20 houses were damaged by the strong winds.
Maureen Durieu, of Fawn Road, said: “It was absolutely terrifying.
“First it was the sound of the rain and then the wind. Then you could hear the tiles coming off and just smashing into walls and cars.
You may also want to watch:
“We knew it had to be a tornado. We were scared for our lives.”
To view a gallery of images showing damage caused by the suspected tornado, click on the link at the top right of this page.
- 1 Chigwell rabbi hospitalised after 'unprovoked and cowardly attack'
- 2 First residents move in to new council homes in Hainault
- 3 Ex-police officer among group jailed for £850k intercept from rival gangs
- 4 Ilford murder investigation launched after woman dies of injuries
- 5 Police meet with Jewish communities after attack on rabbi in Chigwell
- 6 Indian variant of Covid-19 - what's the situation in London?
- 7 Two men arrested on suspicion of GBH following hospitalisation of rabbi
- 8 Ilford Town only place in London with average house price below £250,000
- 9 Man tried to become comic book character by stabbing teen in park toilets
- 10 Clayhall pupils grill Matt Hancock and Dominic Raab