In pictures: London 2012 Olympic Torch comes to Redbridge
Rumours James Bond star Daniel Craig was to carry the Olympic Torch through Redbridge proved unfounded, but the turnout from the borough’s residents showed there is huge appetite and anticipation for a home Olympic Games.
The Torch left Redbridge Cycling Centre in Forest Road, Hainault at 7.19am this morning and headed to Barkingside, Gants Hill and then Ilford.
Click on the link at the top right of this page to see a gallery of pictures from the day.
One person waiting to see the torch was Barkingside resident Eileen Senthan, 33, who had come to High Street with her two sons, husband and sister.
Just yesterday she touched the torch in East Ham as a torchbearer let the crowds get their hands on it.
You may also want to watch:
After watching the Flame pass her and her family in High Street she said: “There’s a great community spirit.
“Not many of us residents of London and Essex could get tickets to the Olympics. They were steeply priced but this makes you feel closer to it.”
- 1 Childhood sweethearts to open 'Brick Lane-style' deli in Barkingside
- 2 Ex-council staff who was sacked after bailiffs turned up at his work loses unfair dismissal claim
- 3 'Like prisoners in our home': Parents of attacked 13-year-old speak out
- 4 Walk It Out founder launches women's boxing classes
- 5 Thirteen-year-old boy attacked in Ilford
- 6 Restaurant apologises after allegations of verbal abuse between staff
- 7 Covid patient numbers rebound at Barts Health hospitals
- 8 Vulnerable woman dies burning charcoal for warmth after gas and electricity are cut off
- 9 Mercato Ilford 'delayed again' as council pushes for Christmas opening
- 10 Hundreds arrested after police crackdown on county lines
If you have any pictures of the relay, we would love to see them. Post them to london.iwitness24.co.uk or email them to email@example.com.