In pictures: London 2012 Olympic Torch comes to Redbridge
Rumours James Bond star Daniel Craig was to carry the Olympic Torch through Redbridge proved unfounded, but the turnout from the borough’s residents showed there is huge appetite and anticipation for a home Olympic Games.
The Torch left Redbridge Cycling Centre in Forest Road, Hainault at 7.19am this morning and headed to Barkingside, Gants Hill and then Ilford.
Click on the link at the top right of this page to see a gallery of pictures from the day.
One person waiting to see the torch was Barkingside resident Eileen Senthan, 33, who had come to High Street with her two sons, husband and sister.
Just yesterday she touched the torch in East Ham as a torchbearer let the crowds get their hands on it.
You may also want to watch:
After watching the Flame pass her and her family in High Street she said: “There’s a great community spirit.
“Not many of us residents of London and Essex could get tickets to the Olympics. They were steeply priced but this makes you feel closer to it.”
- 1 Medical student who helped injured biker calls for more first aid training
- 2 Primary schools in Redbridge rated outstanding by Ofsted
- 3 Woman and children treated for smoke inhalation after Ilford flat fire
- 4 Police appeal to find girl, 12, last seen in Wanstead Park
- 5 Panel finds ex-police officer would have been sacked for neighbour comments
- 6 Update: Man charged in connection with alleged sex assault
- 7 Letter: High-density housing plans in Redbridge
- 8 Primary school creates memorial garden for pupils to remember loved ones
- 9 Ilford mother 'could have been saved' and NHS 'failed' her, family tells inquest
- 10 Oaks Park pupils present video at Anne Frank Trust event
If you have any pictures of the relay, we would love to see them. Post them to london.iwitness24.co.uk or email them to email@example.com.