Ilford traffic jam caused by police blitz on car crime
A blitz on car crime was the reason for long tailbacks in Ilford during the morning rush hour yesterday.
Drivers reported delays of up to an hour as cars queued on the A406 Ilford slip road, with delays hitting Ilford Hill and Ilford Lane, which also had delays of around 40 minutes for cars travelling the length of the road from Barking.
The delays were sparked by Operation Reclaim, a crackdown on car crime.
It took place between 7am and 5pm yesterday in Ilford Hill, Ilford; Station Road, Ilford; Fencepiece Road, Barkingside; High Road, Seven Kings and Overton Drive, Wanstead.
A total of 309 vehicles were stopped, with 12 seized.
You may also want to watch:
Two people were arrested, five cannabis warnings were issued and 10 fixed penalty notices were handed out.
- 1 Mercato Ilford 'delayed again' as council pushes for Christmas opening
- 2 Revealed: The most popular baby names in your area in 2020
- 3 'Not acceptable': Residents mount opposition to plumbers' building plan
- 4 Road and rail round-up: Disruptions to travel in east London this week
- 5 Young Citizen nominee: Esha, 4, who inspired thousands to join bone marrow donor list
- 6 Jailed: Men who laundered £25m from cash and carry warehouses
- 7 Cross-party group demands mayor reject Tesco Goodmayes development
- 8 Two more police 'enforcement hubs' to open in Redbridge
- 9 The most expensive houses sold in your east London borough in August
- 10 Police warn of 'violence, urination' as takeaway applies for late licence